Wednesday, 27 January 2016

My Summer Playlist

Sunset off the coast of Raiatea, French Polynesia; taken by yours truly in 2009.

Am I the only one who thinks there are songs that sound like they were tailor made for certain times of the year? I swear there are songs that sound like summer or autumn or winter, but that might just be me & my unique way of thinking.

Whilst the weather in Sydney this week hasn't been summery in the slightest (hello overcast, humid & wet conditions), at least I have this playlist to get me (back) into the mood. Hopefully it will for you too, regardless of which part of the world you live in & what the weather is like for you right now.

So without further ado I present to you some tunes that I reckon reek of warm days & balmy nights:


The intro to me just sounds kind of late night summer party and I suspect this has been on a few summer playlists this southern hemisphere summer 2015/16. (Side note: I love the lyric "let's embrace the point of no return" - it has taken on a bit of significance for me in the last 3 months or so. Can't wait for Lorde's 2nd album!)

I reckon most of the songs on their first album are summery in feeling (especially Walking On A Dream); but this one takes the gold medal for me, not just because it was my favourite song of 2009 and not because I still love it....wait...nope...they're the only excuses I've got!

This is a bit left-field, but hear me out. This Aussie band’s debut album Escapades soundtracked the summer of 2010/11 for me and every time I hear this song (and Eat Your Heart Out too) I’m taken back to that time for some reason. I enjoy this song for the fact that it's one of the few songs on that album where Kane (HKOH's keyboard dude) gets to do lead vocals + it contains strings & anybody who's read any music post of mine anywhere knows I'm a sucker for them. It’s a pity their 2nd (and final) album wasn’t that great, but at least I have this. Even the Escapades album cover (which you'll see in the link) looks like a Californian summer.

I ought to rename this "Seven Days In Sunny January" or something like that, since June = winter here & January = summer; but obviously that doesn't have the same ring. Regardless, it makes me feel all warm & summer-y no matter what time of year I hear it, but of course it feels extra special during the summer months.

Every 90’s kid ought to know this song and if you don’t, then I don’t know what rock you’ve been living under but you need to get out from under it. The band remastered this song for the 15th anniversary of its release in 2014 (god that makes me feel old! I was 15 when this song came out) & I’m sad that they took out all the skits! Especially the “butter tarts” one - that part would make me smile with amusement because I had NFI what they were talking about. Then again I’ve always had NFI what this song is actually about. All I know is that it’s a great song for summer & that it’s probably on a tonne of summer playlists.

As soon as I heard this sometime last year, I thought “SUMMER!” even though it was the middle of autumn at the time (I think). It’s a pity that the video clip is so shit, this song deserves better…which is why I’m offering an alternative link.

Really not sure why this happens, but I connect with the vibe of this tune more so in summer than I do at any other time of the year. Even in the colder months this tune makes me dream of warmer climes. 

Those folk from "across the ditch" (aka New Zealand) know how to make a great laidback track & this cut from 2002 is a perfect example of that feel, plus the rapid-fire rapping never ceases to amaze me. I won't say anything else other than "Mr sound selectaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, hook me UP with the melodyyyyyyy-yyyy-yyyyyy...."

Just a great song to wind down to, plus the outro sounds like waves crashing at the beach. I suspect that was precisely what this Aussie dance trio (known as RÜFÜS DU SOL overseas) was reaching for on this track. The video is also mesmerisingly relaxing. I'm going to pick up their 2nd album Bloom today & I'm hoping it's every bit as good as their debut Atlas.

Want a song to kick back & chill out to on a nice day? Pop this on. P.S. She's worked with the producer Snakehips, who is currently behind this current chart hit with Tinashe & Chance The Rapper.

Seeing as my musical tastes are pretty diverse, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that I’ve thrown an indie tune in here. Not sure why I feel like this is a summer tune – maybe because they’re on a beach in the clip, or maybe because I played it a lot during one summer several years back, so now it just reminds me of that time of year.

This song reminds me of my Year 10 formal/prom for some reason…and the end of Year 10 in general. Probably because I heard it a lot around that time (we’re talking November/December 2000 here, so late spring/early summer in Australia) and I think it might've been played at that formal as well. I personally prefer the extended mix of this tune; I find the radio edit has been chopped up a bit too much.

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

What songs remind you of summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)