Wednesday, 20 January 2016

Project Polish Summer 2015/16 Edition - Update

We're now over the halfway point of the Project Polish summer edition (if you need to refresh your memory, here's the original post) and....holy shit I've panned a bottle.

via GIPHY


I'll tell you what that is further down the page, but for now here's what hasn't been used:

project polish, nail polish
From top: Butter London - Trout Pout, Ciaté - Pepperminty, Butter London - Kerfuffle, Essie - Mojito Madness, Butter London - Airy Fairy, Ciaté - Party Shoes 

I'm a bit disappointed by my efforts, if I'm honest. I did use Butter London's Trout Pout & Ciaté's Party Shoes for a mani; but really, I shouldn't have expected to see much progress after just one use. All I know is that I've really got to up my game from now until this edition finishes at the end of February.

Now for the ones where I have made some progress:

project polish, nail polish
L-R: Essie - Good As Gold, Kit - Dive In, OPI - Strawberry Margarita + Can't Find My Czechbook
I'll explain the markings - the top mark on most of the polishes is where I started (either last September, as is the case with OPI's Can't Find My Czechbook, or last December), the middle mark on the aforementioned Can't Find My Czechbook is where I ended up when the spring 2015 edition of my Project Polish finished aaaaaand the bottom marks are where I'm at right now. Kit's Dive In (2nd from left) does have a top marking, but you can't see it in the photo.

I am happy so far with my progress on these bottles, but I could swear that my bottle of Good As Gold has less in it than what's pictured above. I'll admit I'm finding it a bit hard to tell just how much I have left in my bottles when I look at them.

Now for the best bit - the empties/unusable polishes:

project polish, nail polish
Essie - Blanc + Ciaté - Amazing Gracie. Yes I used to hack at my bottles to get them open, shhhh...

Thank fuck I finished Blanc. I hated the older style thin brush that came with it, which didn't/doesn't suit my wide nail beds at all + I found this polish streaky. I've noticed that Essie have changed the style of their brushes recently, but it's not enough to make me want to buy this particular polish again. Most of my other Essies have this older thinner brush, but I'm pretty sure they have better formulas than Blanc does.

Amazing Gracie is the polish I alluded to in my last Weekly Happy List post. As I mentioned in that post, I went to use it & discovered it had basically solidified, which pissed me off slightly since the polish wasn't all that old (I'd had it open for all of about 8 months); but 99.9% of me was ecstatic since it meant I could toss it without regret. It was so thick & goopy when I opened it that not even several drops of nail polish thinner could save it. Tbh I shouldn't have bothered trying to thin it because it was a shit polish anyway. Good riddance!

goopy nail polish
Here's proof.

With 2 polishes now done & dusted, I've decided to bring in some replacements:

project polish, nail polish


Essie - Saltwater Happy
I know this is a limited edition polish from Essie (as part of the Peach Side Babe summer collection), but I wanted to throw this in here in the hope that some time soon I'll review it here on TNL. I've yet to try it out on my nails (although I'm hoping to very soon), but having swatched it I'm so damn happy I bought this shade of chambray blue because I have nothing like it in my stash. (That's what I'm calling it because it kinda reminds me of a chambray shirt, except Saltwater Happy has a teensy hint of lavender in it.) It swatched like. a. dream, so by my reckoning it'll be awesome to apply to my nails too. Most if not all the nail blogs that I read have said that this was/is the best polish of this particular collection in terms of application, so I'll take their word for it. Still tossing up whether or not it's worth buying Pret A Surfer as well, given my undying love of the colour blue; but if I could resist Truth or Flare & Hide & Go Chic from the spring 2014 collection, then I can resist Pret too. Aussies, if you want anything from the Peach Side Babe collection then you better hustle because they'll be gone soon!

Essie - Spin The Bottle
Another Essie, from the aforementioned spring 2014 collection. Spin The Bottle is described as a "semi-sheer nude" and that description is bang on the money. Now I know I've mentioned previously that I hate sheer polishes, but I can make this look opaque in 3 coats and it doesn't make life too hard for me in the process. I confess I'm not a huge fan of nude/neutral shades, mostly because I'm not sure which ones work for my fair cool-toned skin; but I think I can get away with this one.

As for my base & top coat sitch, I'll keep this short & sweet:

project polish, nail polish, base coat
My (mostly) empty bottle of Good To Go + a neglected bottle of Bonder (empty bottle of All-In-One not pictured)

project polish, nail polish, base coat, top coat
All the rest of my base & top coats - Essie's All-In-One, 2x Essie's Good To Go + Butter London's Nail Foundation

I've swapped out one bottle each of Essie's All-In-One & Good To Go for another. Orly's Bonder is now sitting in my giveaway pile because, as mentioned in at least 1 previous post of mine, it made my nails go orange-yellow after one use. I did use it twice prior to starting this Project Polish edition, but I didn't have colour on my nails for long. Butter London's Nail Foundation has barely progressed from its previous starting point and no wonder, since I do 2-weeks-on-1-week-off when it comes to my tootsies.

Overall I'm pleased to have finished/binned a couple of polishes, but I know I could do better. I'm hoping to show a lot more progression with the rest of my bottles by the time I finish this particular edition at the end of February.

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

Before I go, is it just me or are my photos appearing as if they're slightly soft focus? I'm not sure if they are or it's the laptop I'm currently working from.

Edit: This post has been linked up to Ingrid's Monday Makeup Madness Link Up Party

10 comments:

  1. Great work getting through a few!
    I need to do a polish project too, I only have about 20 however I paint my nails like once a month!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think it matters how many you have, as long as you have the motivation to complete such a project then you're fine.

      Delete
  2. Great post. I've never actually finished a nail polish in my life, or not that I can remember anyway! The two replacement bottles you've introduced match Pantone's 2016 colours of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say Saltwater Happy is close to Serenity, but Spin The Bottle is definitely more of a nude than a pink though.

      Delete
  3. Hey Shell, some gorgeous colours there - think I've fallen in love with Butter London - Airy Fairy ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's gorgeous isn't it? I only wore it once prior to the project, but it was instant love from the moment I first saw it. I'm really tempted to hoard it & not use it since it was a limited edition shade and it's a unique shade in my stash. I'm kicking myself for not buying a back-up now!

      Delete
  4. What a cool idea! I'm currently working on a project pan with my makeup collection! It looks like you're making some great progress on your polishes! The Essie shade in Saltwater Happy looks stunning! xx

    Sarah | Bows & Pleats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah thanks for stopping by! Saltwater Happy is absolutely lovely - I'm currently sporting it on my nails & its just gorgeous. I won't give away too much since I'm going to review it, but do yourself a favour & get one before its gone!

      Delete
  5. Essie Saltwater Happy is so pretty! I have a soft spot for blue polishes too, and have way too many of them. I just bought my first Ciate, I hope it doesn't solidify like your Amazing Gracie!

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're a woman after my own heart Di! I'm sure your Ciaté polish won't solidify - I have 3 other minis & neither of them have done that, I think there was just a problem with that particular polish.

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)