When it comes to setting my aims for the New Year, I don't believe in using the words "resolutions" or "goals". IMO, resolutions get broken all too easily + the word "goals" freaks me out & reminds me of all those goal-mapping thingymabobs out there that I loathe & end up throwing into the all-too-hard basket. Too much pressure! Instead, I use the word "intentions" and have found ever since I started using that word to map out my personal New Year aims, I've achieved a lot more than I would have if I'd used those other "dirty" words.
I won't talk about my own personal New Year Intentions here on TNL because I'd prefer to keep that sort of thing private, but I will share some separate intentions that I have for 2016 that are both beauty & blog-related:
- Pan at least 1 lipstick. Whilst I don't own too many lipsticks (I've got about 5 of them + 2 lip tints), I am so close to panning one of them and I'd really like to do it by mid-year.
- Go & do a short make-up course. I really want to get better at applying make-up. Whilst I can apply (mineral) foundation, brow stuff & lipstick well enough, I still suck at applying eyeshadow & eyeliner, I'm still a bit afraid of blush & I have NFI how to use bronzers & highlighters & (probably) a whole host of other make-up products. I do realise I could look at a 1001 Youtube tutorials for this sort of thing, but I think I'd end up confusing myself and I'd prefer to take a class/some classes instead.
- Do more with my hair. Most times I just stick it in a ponytail or a top knot & I'm done. I would like to get my curling irons out more often & play with them/learn how to use them properly, especially my non-clamp iron (as mentioned here). I'm also considering going & doing a hair-related short course as well, but we'll see about that.
- Paint my nails at least once a fortnight, if not more. I had this down as a 2015 intention & didn't really achieve it. Now that I've committed myself to doing a Project Polish series, I need to procrastinate less & paint more. Speaking of which...
- Continue with Project Polish until September. By then I will have been doing it for a year and I figure it'll be a good time to re-assess the whole thing.
- Continue with my no-opening-new-polishes-until-oldies-are-finished ban. This one mini intention of mine for 2015 was successful, so I figure if I'm on a good thing stick to it.
- Get TNL on social media. I have this stupid and
probablyirrational fear of social media. Whilst I'm quite happy reading other people's social media pages, when it comes to starting one of my own, I turn into a big ol' scare-dy cat. I'd say this has a lot to do with my nature, but I'm well aware that in order to get the blog out there/network with other bloggers/attend blogging events, I'm going to have to drag myself kicking & screaming onto Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/whatever. It'll be out of my comfort zone, but sometimes discomfort is necessary in order to grow right?
- Stick to a regular schedule. I've been aiming to post 2-3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday &/or Friday) & so far so good. I want to keep that up.
- Improve my photography skills & create better photos. I'd like to get a new camera some time this year because I've had my current one since forever & whilst it's alright, I'd like something more...professional I guess. I also want to improve my photo editing skills, which are pretty non-existent aside from a few basics.
- Continue writing about what I want to write about. This is the most important point for me. If I'm really honest, all this talk about finding your niche gives me the willies big time. I feel as though it's telling me to stick to a single area of interest and that just won't do I'm afraid. I'm personally happy to stick to 3 or 4 main topics of interest (with a sprinkle of other content as well) and that's what I intend to do not only in 2016 but beyond.
- Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!