Wednesday, 10 February 2016

4 Nostalgic Beauty Products From the 90's

90's, nostalgia, beauty products

Just recently, whilst working on some blog stuff & researching how to get my hair the way it looks on the box of my 34mm curling wand, I discovered that the brand of my curling wand also makes glitter hairspray. Immediately this made me think of my jazz ballet dancing days as an 8-14 year old & having this stuff sprayed all over my hair before each end-of-year performance (because, you know, it was the done thing). I honestly thought it’d disappeared from shelves once the 90’s was over, but clearly I was mistaken!

It got me thinking about some other beauty products from my youth that are still out there on the market or are making a comeback as more and more brands look back some 20-25 odd years for inspiration (or inspo as the kids call it). Here’s some that I’ve come up with:

Coloured mascara
Unless you've been living under a rock, you'd know that Benefit released one of their They’re Real mascaras in blue mid last year, along with a whole bunch of They're Real Push-Up Liners in various colours. Seeing that mascara + the eyeliners reminded me of being 14 or so & going through an electric blue mascara phase. Whilst it was fun at the time, I’m not sure I’m game enough to go down that path again as a 30-something! (Although I am open to the idea of wearing coloured liner...)

Brown lipstick
Now I don't recall wearing brown lipstick ever, but apparently this was a thing back in the 1990's and it has made a comeback in recent years. Even though I have dark brown hair, brown is a colour that doesn’t really agree with my skin tone in general, so I’ve avoided this trend altogether.

Impulse body sprays
They’re still around! They were probably around well before I started spraying them all over me, but anyhoo....I think I had pretty much the entire collection of these when I was about 13-14. Even the limited edition Spice Girls one didn’t escape my ownership! One of my personal favourites was the green-bottled Alive, which might’ve been called O2 in some other markets. I just loved the crisp, fresh smell of it and I still like those crisp, fresh sort of scents today. (Another personal favourite was this, which I'd totally forgotten about until now! #nostalgia #yesanotherbluething) Like all things though, I eventually moved on to proper, grown-up fragrance...like Tommy Girl bahahaha. I'm not sure how many teens wear Impulse these days, but they were all the rage back in myyyyy day. (Gosh I sound old now!)

Eyelid glitter
Back in the day (aka the late 90’s), I was an avid user of those pots of eye glitter gel from Australis. I can't find photos of them on the web, but I had the gold one + the blue & green one & I’d wear them to Blue Light Discos (OMG that’s taking me back!) thinking I was cool….hey, most of my friends did the same so when in Rome! I know that eye glitter has come a long way since those days & most of them today are far more pigmented than my stuff ever was; but like the coloured mascara, this is another trend I don’t wish to take on as a 30-something. Knowing my luck, I’ll get glitter in my eye…

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

I've added this post to Ingrid's Monday Makeup Madness Party - go on over & read the other posts if you feel so inclined...

Are there any beauty trends from your youth that have had a resurgence recently?

 

16 comments:

  1. Coloured mascara & eyelid glitter I could relate to them.. Great post..

    ReplyDelete
  2. NYX also brought out some coloured mascara recently too.
    How about the hair mascara too? I used to do a blue streak haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I totally forgot about the hair mascara! Yes, I had some - used to rock a blue (and sometimes purple) streak too haha!

      Delete
  3. I am right there with you; glitter hairspray, face glitter, hair mascara, brown lipstick, Impulse, So? or Exclamation perfume (couldn't afford Body Shop Dewberry #goals), dying my hair with Napro LiveSan or Wella Colour Mousse . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the Napro Live colour thing myself...went cherry, then blueberry within the space of 3-4 months. The last colour turned my hair to straw! Now I leave hair dye to the professionals.

      Delete
  4. I just bought a brown lipstick from The Body Shop! LOL. It looks OK blotted down as it's a nice shimmer but was way too full on as is. I honestly don't know how much I'll wear it though :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like brown's a tricky colour to wear unless you have the right skin tone for it. Maybe try layering it over another lipstick if you want a hint of shimmer? I don't know how much I'd wear it if I had one either.

      Delete
  5. I can clearly remember all of these and have to say that I am loving dabbling in the coloured mascaras from Benefit. I have the blue and the brown and they are used regularly as the brown is great for more natural days and the blue helps give my blue eyes a real pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the blue would pop my blue eyes too...maybe I should re-consider it!

      Delete
  6. Everything goes around in circles, even makeup trends! In my teens I used to love frosted lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think frosted lipstick might've been a thing at some stage during the 90's too. You're right though, everything does go around in circles - only have to look at fashion for that!

      Delete
  7. Oh Shell, this was a trip down memory lane for me - thanks for the lovely dose of nostalgia! I have all four of these items in my current kit - I never let fashion or trends sway me from what I love any more, that's the beauty of getting older, you just don't care what anyone else thinks lol ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to used coloured mascara all the time back then. Don't think I would do it again. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see myself wearing it either tbh...I think it'd be fun for a party though.

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)