Monday, 15 February 2016

How To Push Through Life When You're Feeling Flat

via Your Health Revolution

Let's get per-son-al, per-son-al....

This past week I've felt kinda flat & de-motivated within. Whilst I haven't found it hard to get out bed of a morning or function like a (relatively) "normal" human being, I have, however, been finding it a bit difficult to do some other things, like make phone calls or paint my nails (thus halting any progress on my Project Polish) or...dare I say it....blog.

Despite having a whole heap of posts & ideas typed out before starting TNL, I've felt un-inspired to complete any draft posts + take photos for them (if needed) + come up with new post ideas + stick to my self-imposed blogging schedule (you can read about that here). Hell, even putting my fingers to the keyboard for this post was a struggle! I didn't expect to feel like this so soon after starting the blog and I'm not saying that I'll be taking a step back - far from it - but in case you were wondering why things have been a bit quiet, now you know. I won't say that this will never happen again (that's unrealistic IMO), but I do know how to work through this state of mind when it arises.

So mi amigas, today I'd like to share with you some advice on how I power through such mental/emotional roadblocks and how you can do the same:

  • Don't be so hard on yourself. Self-kindness is paramount when you're in the state that I've been in. I know it's hard (especially if you're a perfectionist like me), but beating yourself up about the way you're feeling will only make things worse, not better. Treat yourself gently.
  • Just write anyway. This is more for the bloggers out there, but you can apply this to whatever it is that you do. Even if you just jot down a post title or something like that, you can always come back to it & expand upon it when inspiration strikes. I will say however that this approach could backfire, so use it with caution.
  • Take time out if need be. Go for a walk. Punch it out if you have a boxing bag. Do some sun salutations or stretches or something. Pop on some music & dance your little heart out. Exercise is good for the mind too, not just the body. If you don't feel like exercising, you could always shift your environment & see if that provides a spark. If not, then just slow down, sit with your thoughts &/or sleep on it....which brings me to my next point...
  • Remind yourself that this too shall pass. This is one of my life mantras & it helps me when I'm in a sucky frame of mind or I'm upset about something. Oh & guess what? The storm clouds usually do pass.
  • Vent. Whether it be to a loved one or to your journal, sometimes letting it out does help...although I wouldn't advise you to vent to the checkout lady or the postman or most other strangers for that matter, lest you be deemed a lunatic. Choose your moments wisely!

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

    What strategies do you use to cope with feeling un-motivated?

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)