Monday, 14 March 2016

Review: BITE Beauty Agave Lip Mask (Original)

Ladies & gentlemen, meet what I believe is my HG (holy grail) beauty product.

Bite Beauty, agave lip mask
My current tube after roughly 3 weeks of use.
This tube of lip brilliance has been keeping my pout nice & moisturised since I discovered it in my travels around the US 18 months ago. Prior to that I was already becoming quite the BITE Beauty fan, but this product cemented my borderline junkie fangirl status when it comes to the brand. I want all the BITE things! (Ok, that's an exaggeration...that Opal lipstick they've brought out in the last few months isn't my kinda thing.) If you're not a fan of the plain & simple, you'll be pleased to know this also comes in 2 other varieties - Champagne (a pinky-ish shimmer which isn't too shimmery but not my cup of tea either - might be nice for the daytime though), which I've tested in the past & Smashed (a red tint), which I've yet to try.

Before I get into the review, I'd just like to point out a quirk I've noticed in regards to the coating on the outside of the tube. Over time this begins to break down & wear off, to the point where it is non-existent by the time you finish the tube. You'll understand what I mean when you see the comparison photo below, which I shot before I started TNL. The top tube (aka my current one) had had about 3 weeks of use at the time, whereas the bottom empty one looked that way after approximately 1 year of use.



And just as a point of reference, here's what my current tube (which looked pretty new in the first photo) looks like after 4 months of use:


Now for the rest of my thoughts:

Smell: When I first purchased the Agave Lip Mask & had a sniff of it, I began racking my olfactory memories to figure out what it smells like & all I could come up with is that it smells exactly like a Maccas (or McDonalds for the rest of the world) chocolate fudge sundae. In other words, it smells fucking delicious. I'm not gonna lie, there have been numerous times where I've wanted to eat it rather than wear it and some mornings I will lick whatever's left off my lips. #noshame I presume this has everything something to do with the food grade ingredients BITE use in all their products. I swear their stuff smells good enough to eat!

Consistency: Like most lanolin-based products (which the Agave Lip Mask is), the consistency of the product varies with the weather & the seasons - one minute it's thick & really hard to squeeze out of the tube, the next it's runnier and therefore much easier to squeeze out. Generally speaking, it's easier to squeeze product out of this during summer as opposed to winter.

How long does it last? The tube generally lasts me about a year. You don't need to use too much of it at any given time, although if you're using this as an all day lip treatment, then you'll probably go through it quicker than I do.

Other points of interest: For the most part I use this strictly as my night-time lip treatment all year round & not once has it let me down. Each & every single morning I wake up with soft, smooth lips, regardless of whether I've exfoliated them recently or not. I've also used this before applying any of my BITE lipsticks (which are all creamy mattes) and its helped keep my lips moisturised as well, which is a general problem for me since my lips are prone to chapping & dryness. I'll talk further about the formula of BITE lipsticks down the track, but I'll say for now that I don't have too many problems with it.


Overall I just love this product and I know I'm not the only fan of it. It seems like every beauty blogger & her dog has been singing the praises of this lip mask, so no wonder it comes highly recommended. If you're like me & your lips are easily chapped regardless of the weather, then do yourself a favour & splash out on a tube. Who knows, maybe you'll attribute HG status to it like I have. :o)

Australians can purchase this from Sephora stores (or on their Australian website, if you dare to go there), Natural Supply Co, Nourished Life and countless other places.

For my overseas readers (particularly American, Canadian, Japanese, UK, German, South Korean, Dutch or Norwegian folk), you guys can get it from Sephora. For anyone else who lives outside of those countries, maybe try & see whether any of the above sites will ship to you, or if you know someone who can get it to you.

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

*All products featured for review on The Novice Life are purchased by me, unless otherwise stated. Please refer to my disclosure policy for more details.

What's your HG product? 

16 comments:

  1. I feel a bit slow off the mark as I haven't yet tried this agave lip mask! I'll have to fix that ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard you rave about this agave lip mask on the beautyheaven forum a lot. So you use this every night & that tiny tube has lasted you a whole year? I'm interested now!

    I also liked the sound of the Opal lippie. I don't like matte, so this sounds right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need a lot of it on your lips, trust me.

      Delete
  3. I've heard and read many reviews on this product and have yet to pick it up. After reading this review, I may just have to take a trip to the store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you posted where I can buy this from hon - one of my secret sins is Macca's Chocolate Sundaes, and if you love this product, it's gotta be a winner ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, big calls as your HG product! I do enjoy this, but I've misplaced mine atm :(.
    My HG is Max Factor High Def Mascara in waterproof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's a big call, but I love this stuff so much and it makes sense since I can't live without lip balm/some kind of moisturising lip product in general.

      Delete
  6. I have a Bite Beauty lip crayon and it does indeed smell totally edible!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think EVERYTHING from Bite Beauty smells totally edible! I know all my lipsticks + 2 lip pencils + 2 lip tints all smell good enough to eat.

      Delete
  7. I haven't tried any Bite products but this sounds fab! Sucks that the packaging wears off though, I hate being left with a naked tube and bits over my hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too much coating comes off every time, but gradually it does wear off. It's a bit of a pain seeing bits all over your fingers though.

      Delete
  8. How can you use it at night if it smells like a chocolate sundae? It would make me have cravings!
    I've been using may lindstrom blue cocoon lately (face not lips though) and it smells like chocolate it makes me hungry haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess because I think it's a bit too thick for daytime wear.

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)