Friday, 4 March 2016

The Monthly Happy List (February)

monthly happy list, happiness

When I first started TNL & came up with the idea of a Weekly Happy List, I didn't realise just how difficult it was going to be for me to keep up with it. More often than not I haven't been able to publish such posts due to a lack of content (I live a humdrum life sadly, nothing all that exciting going on here!) and I feel like it's become all too hard.

So what's a girl to do when she's struggling? Come up with a new plan.

From now on, instead of a Weekly Happy List, I'm going to be formulating a Monthly Happy List instead. I haven't exactly decided on the format of these posts as yet, but it might be like a combination of all those favourites posts you see on other blogs + what I've been doing with the Weekly Happy Lists. How does that sound to you? Let me know in the comments below.

Let's get into it...

PERSONAL HAPPYS

* Winning a prize from Beauty Heaven...and not just any ol' prize. I won a GHD Curve Soft Curl Tong WOOT WOOT!! I was in a bit of shock when I found out & almost shed a tear (me so sensitive). Even though I have 2 other neglected wands, I don't have one in this size (32mm) & neither of them are from GHD, so I was quite happy with this win!

* Finding a new hairdresser with relative ease. To cut a long story short, methinks my old hairdresser (who has been on maternity leave since last September) has sold her salon as I went to call her early last month only to (a) hear a voice on the other end that I didn't recognise at all and (b) discover that the girl who'd done my hair last time no longer works there. I'd been thinking of switching hairdressers for a while, so regardless it was a blessing in disguise. Anyway, the new one is closer to my place, is a bit cheaper & she actually talked me through the process of getting my hair done - something my ex-hairdresser rarely (if ever) did. I feel like this one knows her shit and wants me to have a great cut & colour (which I do), so I'm happy to continue going there, even though she scared me a bit at first haha.

*My folks springing me with a surprise overseas trip later in the year. The details aren't fully set in stone yet, but I know I'm going to London for my cousin's wedding in September (my brother & I will be representing our side of the fam) & then to New York for a week to stay with my brother (who lives & works there). To say that I was surprised was an understatement! I ♥ both these cities and have been to them before, so to be going back is trés cool and exciting. Bring on the beauty shopping! Now if only the Aussie dollar would rise....

FEBRUARY LIKES

* Tim Minchin's controversial song about Cardinal George Pell not coming home for the Royal Commission was/is a hoot. I'm not religiously minded at all, but I'm glad I live in a country where hilarious folk can write & record songs that shade so-called "important" members of society. At the very least, he started a conversation and from what I've heard, the victims of child sex abuse have taken comfort in this tune.

* This article about holiday romances and how they're not such a great idea make me say "AAAAAAAAAAAAMEN". Been there, done that, definitely not going there again!

* Watching I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, the Aussie version. Not so guilty pleasure of mine. This season's been more bitchy than the first IMO, but by no means less enjoyable. I'm just wondering (a) are there any more celeb mates Shane Warne's gonna name drop and (b) how many more times will Laurina piss somebody off in camp/piss my Dad off (he can't stand her)/mention her time on Aussie Bachelor (surely the campmates are bored of that by now???)/get voted into a tucker trial/back out of an eating challenge/be a general troublemaking pot-stirrer/come up with some half-arsed statistic to support what she's saying.

FEBRUARY'S SOUNDTRACK

* Rihanna's vocal doppleganger Zara Larsson & her catchy-as-fuck hit Lush Life kept getting into my head and driving me nuts throughout last month. Damn them Swedes & their pop music, they kill me every time! You might also recognise Zara from this hit of late 2015.

* I also sort of got into Flume's collab with Vince Staples & KUĈKA (whose tune Unconditional was my fave song of 2014). I prefer Smoke & Retribution over Never Be Like You - I just couldn't get into the latter, plus I've been hearing it a lot in Coles over the last month so it's been irking me. Please tell me I'm not the only one who pays attention to music in the supermarket/shopping centre/store?!

*Another tune I've kind of got into lately is Jack Garratt's Breathe Life. I've been hearing it for months on Triple J, but when they featured his album about 2-3 weeks ago I actually began feeling it. This happens to me a lot where I don't like a song at first and then all of a sudden I GET IT. Judging by this and another song I've heard from it, I might have to check out his debut album Phase....oh and he did this pretty good mash-up of Craig David's 7 Days & Justin Timberlake's Señorita just recently too.

* February also saw me re-discover some great tunes: (one of) my girl crush(es) Megan Washington's tune Limitless (my 2nd fave tune of 2014), Foo Fighters' Walking After You (which randomly popped into my head one day - totally forgot there's 2 different versions, I've linked the re-worked version) & The Jezebels' Endless Summer (such a beast of a tune!).

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

What made you happy/what did you like in February?




2 comments:

  1. I have not seen nearly enough of I'm A Celebrity this year but I love Warnie's celeb stories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying them too - I'm just wondering if there's any more celeb stories to come from him as it seems like he's exhausted them all!

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)