Friday, 20 May 2016

Battle of the Curling Wands (Part 1): Jilbère de Paris Euro 2500 25mm Ceramic Curler

hair, curling wands, Jilbere de Paris
 
Hi everyone!

Today's post is the first of a 3-part series I'll be featuring on TNL, all about the curling wands I own. (Although one of them's actually a waving wand, but let's not get into semantics!)

You may remember at the beginning of the year I mentioned that one of my intentions for 2016 was to do more with my hair than just the usual ponytail or top knot; so it's in that spirit that I decided I'd get out of my oft-neglected curling wands, have a play around with them for practising purposes & review them for the blog. I'll update this post and all the others with links to the other parts once they have been published, so you can follow along easily.

For each of these posts, I'll be prepping my (freshly-washed, partly air-dried) hair using TRESemmé's Perfectly (Un)Done Wave Creating Foam before blow-drying & curling. I (will also attempt to) use the same curling method (either over or under & towards my face) throughout. I've also decided that in order to save time & perhaps prevent any personal confusion with my curling method, I'm going to use a hair styling hack I recently re-discovered - I'll scoop all my hair into a high ponytail & tie it with an elastic before curling. I've done this in the past & it works quite well.

Before I show you the results, let me talk a bit about the wand I'm featuring today, Jilbère de Paris' (who are owned by Conair, FYI) Euro 2500 25mm Ceramic Curler. This was my first foray into the world of curling wands, having previously used hot rollers as a means of obtaining curls. From memory, I think I bought this curler about 4-5 years ago.


curling wands
Jilbère de Paris curler, out of the box


curling wands
The inside of the box, with all the promises/features of the curler

In case you can't read the photo above, here are the features:
  • 200ºC (392°F) high heat with 5 variable temperature settings (the lowest being 140°C/284°F for "delicate, fine, bleached hair")
  • Ceramic tourmaline nano silver 25mm barrel
  • Professional quality ceramic heater
  • Digital control with LED display
  • 3m professional salon length power cord
  • Heat protection shield
  • Cool tip

And here's what happened when I curled my hair + some thoughts on the curler itself:
  • I used the 2nd highest setting of 155°C/311°F (thin, easy to curl hair) for this wand and this part of the battle. I was tempted to go up to the next level (170°C/338°F), but opted against it as the next 2 wands I'm featuring have higher temperature settings and I don't want to damage my hair too much throughout this series.
  • I had to go back & re-curl several pieces both underneath and at the front, due to my hair being so soft post-wash + not putting enough mousse in (note to self, use more mousse next time). Some pieces were also curled a little differently because (a) my layers didn't want to co-operate & kept falling out of the clamp & (b) I forgot which way I was curling my hair in the end, despite using my right/dominant arm to curl throughout. FYI, I curled my hair with the clamp facing away from me horizontally, under and forward (I think??).
  • I found this wand easy to use, despite my layers falling out and despite my confusion over my curling method. Maybe I'm getting the hang of it at long last! EDIT: Forgot to mention I had my hair around the wand for 12 seconds each time.
  • I was tempted not to put hairspray in afterwards as the curls were holding fairly well (except for some of the re-curled pieces), but in the end I sprayed a bit of this medium-hold hairspray just to give my curls some security. I also finger combed & lightly brushed out the curls pre-hairspray to separate them a little. 
  • One thing I noticed about this curling iron as opposed to, say, the 3rd one I'll be featuring (by a big name brand) is that my hair neither sounded nor felt smooth when being worked through the clamp. The sound of my hair going through the clamp is hard to describe, but it sounded a little bit like scraping plates, let's put it that way. I'm not entirely sure if this was/is kind to my hair or not - whilst I didn't feel too much damage post-curling, the next morning (i.e. yesterday) the ends of my hair felt dry and a bit rough, not to mention quite knotty. I didn't use any extra heat protecting product other than the mousse; but from memory, even when I have used heat protectant with this curler, my hair still felt that way the next morning. Maybe I need to put some hair oil in the ends post-curling???
  • Another thing I noticed with this as opposed to the 2 other wands in this series is it's hard to tell when it has reached the correct temperature as the device doesn't alert you in any way, shape or form. Whilst it has a light next to the temperature level (there's a different light for each temperature), that light doesn't flash once the correct temperature has been reached. The only way you can tell if the temperature is right is if you lightly (and I mean lightly!) touch the heat protection shield, or even the so-called "cool tip". Even then that's probably not the best indicator of heat, not to mention it could be fraught with danger!
  • Speaking of the heat protection shield (see 2nd photo), I'm happy to say it worked well in protecting my poor fingers from being burnt, but I'll admit it was a pain to put it on between curling & remove when I started again. Also, whilst this does have a stand to prevent your device from burning surfaces, I'd much prefer a heat protection mat. Unfortunately, none of my wands in this series came with one, although they are sold separately in the case of one wand. Nevertheless, I reckon heat protection mats (or gloves) should be standard across the board, not an exception.
Here's the end result, which may or may not show up since my fine-but-lots-of-it dark-brunette coloured hair is that dark to the point of looking black:

My hair, freshly blow-dried, pre curl


hair curling
My hair, post-curl, brushed out

As you can see, my hair looks fairly bouncy post-curling! I was pretty pleased with the result, despite having to re-curl certain bits as mentioned & my layers being a pain in the you-know-what. I did have some photos of my hair pre-brush out, but none of them were suitable for publishing.

Overall, the process took about 30 minutes with my hair, although I didn't time it. As far as staying power goes, my curls thankfully didn't fall out within half an hour, although the parts I re-curled underneath fell out again within 2 hours. By the time I woke up yesterday morning they'd disappeared for the most part, but the ends of my hair were still fairly wavy.

I'll do a comparison with all the wands and tell you which one I think is the best in the final post of the series, but I will say for now that I have mixed feelings about this particular curling wand. Whilst I got quite a nice curl from the Jilbère de Paris curler, the way my hair sounded & felt going through the process is a concern. This is the cheapest in price of the 3 curlers I own and tbh, I do feel as though I've got what I paid for here. Whilst the wand isn't nasty as such, I can't say I felt luxe while using it, despite the golden-toned barrel and clamp. The lack of an alert when it comes to correct temperature is a bug bear, not to mention having to take the protection shield on & off all the time. I suppose I could've just left the shield off, however, I didn't fancy burning my bathroom vanity! I'm not sure if and when I'll get this particular wand out again....it may just sit around gathering dust...

You can find this curler + other Jilbère de Paris products in Myer and The Shaver Shop, according to Conair's Australian website. I got mine for around $64AUD from memory. Funnily enough, the next brand of curler I'm featuring in this series is also owned by Conair...

Pssst...just added this to the Monday Madness Makeup Party link-up over at Fabulous and Fun Life. Go check out the other blogs involved!

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

How many curling wands do you own, if any?



10 comments:

  1. I don't own any, I've been keen to get one for awhile!
    I look forward to the rest of this series
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully one of the next 2 might convince you to part with your beauty pennies! :o)

      Delete
  2. Great idea for a series of posts! It will be interesting to see photos of the curls produced by each curling iron next to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh good idea Ingrid, I'll make sure I remember it for the final post of the series!

      Delete
  3. I only have one curling wand! I'd be happy if my hair looked as bouncy as your does afterwards though. Looking forward to the rest of the series :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shell, your hair looks gorgeous hon! I don't own a curling wand or a straightener either - I seem to manage just fine with my hair dryer and a good quality brush, probably because my hair is so short. Always a terrific read hon xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Kats! I don't own a straightener either, I just can't be bothered with it. I think with shorter hair you can get away with using less tools.

      Delete
  5. I use a VS Sassoon Curl Secret (or the Suck 'n' Curl as I call it) - it works pretty well especially for someone who has zero skills so I can't complain. I'd love to be able to do a proper barrel curl though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen good reviews for the Curl Secret, but I've got enough curling wands as is, I don't need another one! Is it shameful to say I had to look up what a barrel curl is? (Oops!) I think I'd like to try doing barrel curls too!

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)