How's this for a first people: a product my Mum told me about and asked me to buy, all before I even knew about it....and she's not the beauty lover out of us 2!
So what is this product? It's Loréal Paris' Magic Retouch Instant Root Concealer Spray (phew, that's a mouthful!) and today I'm going to be reviewing the Dark Brown shade for you all, which is perfect for my hair colour. It also comes in Blonde, Light Brown, Brown & Black - sorry to all the red-headed beauties out there, you guys lose out. (Unless you live in the US, in which case they do sell a red version of this.) Although my Mum (whose hair I'm not featuring in this post) is currently flame in hue, she figured she'd use this shade because anything is better than walking around with grey roots, right?
First things first, here's what you need to know:
- This comes in a spray can, with a pointed nozzle for easy access to the roots. The spray itself appears to come out clear, but if you happen to accidentally spray your forehead as I have done
(because I'm a klutz), then you'll know this to be the opposite.
- Normally costs $15.99AUD for 75mL, although I bought my can for $11.99AUD in good ol' Chemist Warehouse.
- How to use: Shake the can well before use and keep it upright whilst spraying your roots. Loréal recommend you hold and spray 10cm away from your roots. It takes about a minute for the colour to set in & then washes out the next time you wash your hair. Loréal claim this is non-transfer and to a certain extent that's correct...but not entirely true. I'll tell you why below.
- Ladies, unless you have some level of grey coverage, I wouldn't bother trying this as it won't work for standard regrowth. Don't believe me? Head on over to Almost Posh to find out for yourself.
- I've used this thrice now and each time I've been amazed at how well this covers my greys - we're talking instantly! The majority of my greys are situated on the top layer of my hair, although I do have a few underneath that I sprayed the first time around. I've also got my natural ash brown colour coming through too, so I walk around with tri-coloured hair in between salon visits haha.
- The first time I used this, it did feel slightly irritating on my scalp at the crown, but it wasn't anything major. I wasn't scratching my head, let's put it that way. I'm not sure if that's because my hair was freshly washed & dried at that time, or whether it's better to use this on 2nd-3rd day hair (which I did when I shot this post). I feel like the natural oils in my hair did offer me a bit of protection.
- Whilst it says "non-transfer" and it certainly doesn't stain your clothes, if you do happen to touch your hair after spraying, then you are going to get some residue on your fingers....or at least I did. I admit I am heavy-handed at times (anyone who has ever heard me close a car door knows this all too well!), so I definitely know I could do with a lighter touch. I should also mention that it does have a hairspray feel to it, i.e. kinda tacky, so if you're not a fan of that feeling then you might want to try something else. I don't mind it because the feel is not overwhelming.
- As for how long it lasts? For me, I can happily say that the part about it lasting until your next wash is 100% true! Sure, it does fade a tiny bit, but not to the extent where I could see my greys right before washing my hair again.
|Before shot + proof I have grey hair at 31 years of age. Excuse the flakes, it's shampoo residue.|
|After shot - no more greys, hoorah!|
Loréal Paris Magic Retouch Instant Root Concealer Spray is sold in Priceline, Chemist Warehouse and whereever else Loréal products are sold.
This post's been linked up to the Monday Makeup Madness Party. Head on over & check out the other blogs involved!
*All products featured for review on The Novice Life are purchased by me, unless otherwise stated. Please refer to my disclosure policy for more details.
Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!