Monday, 27 June 2016

A Solution To Your Regrowth Woes

loréal, hair

Updated 9/11/16

How's this for a first people: a product my Mum told me about and asked me to buy, all before I even knew about it....and she's not the beauty lover out of us 2!

So what is this product? It's Loréal Paris' Magic Retouch Instant Root Concealer Spray (phew, that's a mouthful!) and today I'm going to be reviewing the Dark Brown shade for you all, which is perfect for my hair colour. It also comes in Blonde, Light Brown, Brown & Black - sorry to all the red-headed beauties out there, you guys lose out. (Unless you live in the US, in which case they do sell a red version of this.) Although my Mum (whose hair I'm not featuring in this post) is currently flame in hue, she figured she'd use this shade because anything is better than walking around with grey roots, right?

First things first, here's what you need to know:

loréal, hair
  • This comes in a spray can, with a pointed nozzle for easy access to the roots. The spray itself appears to come out clear, but if you happen to accidentally spray your forehead as I have done (because I'm a klutz), then you'll know this to be the opposite.
  • Normally costs $15.99AUD for 75mL, although I bought my can for $11.99AUD in good ol' Chemist Warehouse.
  • How to use: Shake the can well before use and keep it upright whilst spraying your roots. Loréal recommend you hold and spray 10cm away from your roots. It takes about a minute for the colour to set in & then washes out the next time you wash your hair. Loréal claim this is non-transfer and to a certain extent that's correct...but not entirely true. I'll tell you why below.
And now for some thoughts....

  • Ladies, unless you have some level of grey coverage, I wouldn't bother trying this as it won't work for standard regrowth. Don't believe me? Head on over to Almost Posh to find out for yourself.
  • I've used this thrice now and each time I've been amazed at how well this covers my greys - we're talking instantly! The majority of my greys are situated on the top layer of my hair, although I do have a few underneath that I sprayed the first time around. I've also got my natural ash brown colour coming through too, so I walk around with tri-coloured hair in between salon visits haha.
  • The first time I used this, it did feel slightly irritating on my scalp at the crown, but it wasn't anything major. I wasn't scratching my head, let's put it that way. I'm not sure if that's because my hair was freshly washed & dried at that time, or whether it's better to use this on 2nd-3rd day hair (which I did when I shot this post). I feel like the natural oils in my hair did offer me a bit of protection.
  • Whilst it says "non-transfer" and it certainly doesn't stain your clothes, if you do happen to touch your hair after spraying, then you are going to get some residue on your fingers....or at least I did. I admit I am heavy-handed at times (anyone who has ever heard me close a car door knows this all too well!), so I definitely know I could do with a lighter touch. I should also mention that it does have a hairspray feel to it, i.e. kinda tacky, so if you're not a fan of that feeling then you might want to try something else. I don't mind it because the feel is not overwhelming.
  • As for how long it lasts? For me, I can happily say that the part about it lasting until your next wash is 100% true! Sure, it does fade a tiny bit, but not to the extent where I could see my greys right before washing my hair again.
And now for some photographic evidence. Btw I'm well overdue for another colour, but can't afford it right now (I don't bother to DIY hair colour) + atm I've got some lumpy bumps & scabs around my hairline from a topical treatment I'm using to mop up any remaining skin cancer on my forehead. I really don't look good right now! 

Before shot + proof I have grey hair at 31 years of age. Excuse the flakes, it's shampoo residue.

After shot - no more greys, hoorah!
    Overall I really like this! It's pretty rare that you find a product that does what it says on the label, but I'm happy to report that this really does what it says it'll do and it's fairly affordable too. I have to admit that up until now I've never used a root concealing product of any kind (whether it be a mascara or something else) purely due to laziness; but no longer will I be lazy when it comes to concealing my greys in between colours. Thanks to this product, they can do one!

    Loréal Paris Magic Retouch Instant Root Concealer Spray is sold in Priceline, Chemist Warehouse and whereever else Loréal products are sold.

    This post's been linked up to the Monday Makeup Madness Party. Head on over & check out the other blogs involved!

    *All products featured for review on The Novice Life are purchased by me, unless otherwise stated. Please refer to my disclosure policy for more details.


    Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

    What do you think? Would this be a suitable product for you? 

    14 comments:

    1. I need to try this in blonde as my dark roots are well in need of a touch-up. I've been meaning to colour my hair for the last month!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Let me know how you go with it! I'd be curious to find out if it works just as well on lighter hair. My hair was due for another colour 2 weeks ago, but I'm stretching it until just before I go away in August...which is why this will come in handy!

        Delete
    2. Ooh I also wonder how it goes on light blonde hair. I love being light but am a bit lazy on the upkeep = trash bag. Fortunately dry shampoo can help mask it a bit!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't know, but try out the Blonde version & see how you go! I'm unfortunately allergic to most dry shampoos and have learnt the hard way what happens when I use dry shampoo (i.e. my scalp goes batshit crazy).

        Delete
    3. omg!!! I need this. I have a patch of pure white hairs that holds colour for about1.5 - 2 weeks thanks to a head trauma that killed the follicles. Having something like this would be absolutely ideal. Ive just added it to my online cart lol Thank you!!
      - Jackie (Lipstick, Lattes & Louboutins)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No worries Jackie! Glad I could help you out. :o)

        Delete
    4. I LOVE watching people use this haha I can't help it!! it does such an amazing job :)

      Lily not Louise

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It sure does! It's quick & easy, just what everyone wants.

        Delete
    5. Replies
      1. Glad you like it too! I think it's going to be a VERY popular product once more people know about it.

        Delete
    6. Awesome! Oh I wish they had a strawberry blonde shade, or at least a caramel - still the light brown might work for me. My roots are white as snow and I so need something like this instead of colouring every fortnight - thanks babe!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. No worries Kats! I wish they had a wider range of shades too as not everyone is within those 5 shades. Hopefully the light brown works for you!

        Delete
    7. This looks like such an easy and effective product to use.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's definitely both those things Ingrid!

        Delete

    Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)