Friday, 10 June 2016

Battle of the Curling Wands (Part 2): BaByliss Pro Siren 34mm Waving Wand

hair, curling wands

Missed Part 1? Catch up on it here.

Hi everyone and welcome to the 2nd of my 3-part series featuring the 3 curling wands I own. As promised, this post contains the link to part 1 and all posts in this series will or have been updated with links to the other parts once they have been published, so you can follow along easily.

For each of these posts, I'll be prepping my (freshly-washed) hair using TRESemmé's Perfectly (Un)Done Wave Creating Foam before blow-drying & curling. I (will also attempt to) use the same curling method (either over or under & towards my face) throughout. I've also decided that in order to save time & perhaps prevent any personal confusion with my curling method, I'm going to use a hair hack I recently re-discovered - I'll scoop all my hair into a high ponytail & tie it with an elastic before curling. I've done this in the past & it works quite well.




Today we're going to take a look at another Conair-owned brand, BaByliss Pro and their Siren 34mm Waving Wand, which I purchased for myself last Christmas. As I mentioned in that post, I not only wanted to try a wave wand, I also wanted to try out a wand that didn't have a clamp feature, just to see what the difference was. I'll talk about that difference later, but for now, here's the features of this particular wand (according to the instruction manual):

  • 34mm barrel for glamorous, soft waves
  • Extended barrel length for easy styling, even on long hair
  • Titanium-ceramic provides an ultra smooth finish for faster styling & enhanced shine
  • Ultra advanced ceramic heater for super fast heat up & instant heat recovery
  • Digital conrol up to 210°C (410°F) with 11 heat settings for all hair types (the lowest setting being 160°C/320°F for "very fine, fragile hair")
  • Auto off after 1 hour
  • 2.7m salon length swivel cord
  • Heat protection glove
  • Stay cool safety tip
  • Integrated heat protection stand
I'll also mention that my wand came with 2 bonuses - a detangling brush & 2 sectioning clips (see below) - which for me were the deciding factor in this purchase. Both of these bonuses are alright, but I need to be careful with both as (a) the brush can be a bit rough on my hair if I'm not gentle & (b) the teeth of the clips can catch & tangle my hair.


Let's see what went down + my thoughts on the wand:

  • After putting my poor hair through the ringer with my Jilbère de Paris wand, I decided this time to use a heat protecting spray in combination with the mousse, just so I didn't fry the ends of my hair. I also scrunched some hair oil into my mid-lengths & ends post-waving + added a bit of hairspray for hold. I'm happy to report that this method worked & my hair didn't feel as damaged the following morning as it did after Part 1.
  • Just like the aforementioned wand, I also used the 2nd highest setting here - 170°C/340°F - for "regularly coloured or highlighted hair", which suits me. I could've gone up to the next highest setting of 180°C/350°F for "fine, easy to curl hair" (which also suits me - I've got fine and coloured hair), but again, I don't want to damage my mane too much throughout this process.
  • Speaking of temperature, this wand at least gives you some sort of alert as to whether the right temperature has been reached. When you turn it on, you have the opportunity to increase the temperature from its starting point of 160°C/320°F using the +/- button, going up in 5 degree increments. Once you've reached the temperature you want, the little temperature screen flashes until the desired temperature has been reached. I'd say this takes about 15-30 seconds, possibly longer if you have a much higher setting.
  • Although they advise you to only have your hair on the wand for 3-5 seconds, I let mine go a lot longer - around 10-12 seconds. I think I tried it the advised way the first time & found it didn't do anything for my hair.
  • You can use this wand to add volume at the roots as well as styling your mane. I did notice whilst I was styling my hair in the ponytail that the base looked fairly voluminous, but you can't tell in the photos I took sadly, so I decided not to add them to the post.
  • Unlike the wand I used in Part 1 of this series, this time around I didn't hear a "scraping plates" sound as I wound my hair around this wand, which was a relief. Whilst I feel this barrel is more protective, I did notice my waves looked a bit crunchy after they'd come away from the barrel. I also noticed my hair was a touch knotty in parts post-waving, but nothing that my fingers/a comb couldn't sort out.
  • IMO there is a significant difference between a clamped & non-clamped wand. Having used this Siren wand a couple of times now, I have found it a wee bit difficult getting my hair to wrap tightly enough around the barrel, thus leaving me with a half-arsed look at times. I managed to do alright this time, but only because I kept remembering to keep my hair as tight as possible around the barrel. I think non-clamped wands are best used if you have a friend or someone to help you out, unless you're skilled in all things hair & have really good arm strength. I had to take several breaks because my arms were killing me!
    And the final result, which, as mentioned previously, may not show up too well because my hair is really dark to the point of appearing black:

    Before waving - freshly blow-dried

    After waving
    This time around I didn't bother brushing my hair out because I was happy with the way it looked & feared that I'd lose the wave entirely if I did, although I did have to go & re-do some bits at the front as they had fallen a little. For the most part, it lasted until the next morning & even after I combed my hair it still had a hint of a wave in it.

    Was I happy overall with the look? Kinda. I would still love to get my hair looking the way it does on the box (see above), but it requires blow-drying your hair with a round brush first (I know this because I checked the lookbook on the BaByliss Pro Australia website)....and I'm waaaaaay too un-co(ordinated) for that.

    In summary, the BaByliss Pro Siren wand isn't a bad one to have in your stash; but I do feel that you could save some coin & get the same look (or better) simply by blow-drying your hair & then leaving it in plaits/braids until they cool before releasing them, or by going to the beach with your hair in a plait & letting your hair air-dry after you've hit the water. I don't necessarily regret purchasing it - I'm glad I've got to see the difference between clamped & non-clamped wands + I am determined to get the hang of it + I like its overall features & design - but IMO this wand isn't something you absolutely need in your hair arsenal methinks.

    BaByliss Pro wands are available from Price Attack, Hairhouse Warehouse & selected salons. I bought mine from SA Hair & Beauty Supplies in Sydney, which sell them for trade (i.e. cheaper) prices compared to those 2 hair care retailers. Unfortunately I couldn't find my wand on their website, so it may have sold out.

    Oops...I forgot to mention previously that this post is a part of the Monday Makeup Madness linky-link up. Apologies to Ingrid!
     
    Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

     

    Are you as unco-ordinated as I am with hair styling tools?

      19 comments:

      1. If skills are required, I stay well away! I need a more foolproof option!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Ha, I should've known you'd say that! I think I just need to get used to it & get the hang of it. Practise makes perfect. :o)

          Delete
      2. a protection glove is a must! I remember using my curling iron without gloves and kept burning my fingers. I think the tool gave you some natural waves!

        Lily not Louise

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. With wands like this a glove is a definite must! Ouch to burning your fingers!

          Delete
      3. Trying to get my hair to look like the image on a hair styling product box is a lost cause for me! My hair doesn't hold a curl very well at all and the model on the box would have had a professional hairdresser on hand to do her style plus a professional photographer and editing etc! There's no way I'd be that skilled!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Yeah neither am I, but a girl can dream I suppose...if only we all had a pro hairdresser on call every day!

          Delete
      4. Yeah, I don't think this is something I'd buy. Much easier, and cheaper like you said, to leave wet hair in braids :)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I think if you have to have all the wands then go for it, but for everyone else I don't think it is necessary, even though I don't regret buying this.

          Delete
      5. Shell, I can JUST manage my hair dryer and that's it - had a straightener once upon a time, and all I could do was singe my scalp. What you did looks lovely - congrats! xxx

        ReplyDelete
      6. This comment has been removed by the author.

        ReplyDelete
      7. I wish I could master a curling iron!! I cheat and use the VS sasson curl.. thing haha it works great :D All I do with wands is end up with neck burns.
        - Jackie (Lipstick, Lattes & Louboutins)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Ouch! I've heard the Curl Secret is quite good, but I've got enough curling devices now, definitely don't need another one!

          Delete
      8. I am hopeless with my hair. My hairdresser has shown me a million times how to curl with my straightener, but i still don't get it. Maybe a wand is the way to go....

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Don't worry, I'm not that great with my hair either. ;o) I haven't got a straightener, but I'd have absolutely no idea how to curl with it if I had one anyway! I figure a straightener is for straightening, a wand is for curling...

          Delete
      9. What a fabulous idea to include sectioning clips with the wand! It's so small, but so useful. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? Genius!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I know right? That + the brush were big factors in buying this. I know some companies do include them sometimes if they're doing a gift pack, but it's not a regular occurence.

          Delete
      10. I really like the results you got. I personally hate putting effort in my hair though, I've too much hair so if I'm going to break a sweat styling it I usually just don't lol. Great review lovely x www.beyoutyfulyou.com

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thanks Louise! I understand the whole "too much hair" thing - I have that problem myself, despite having fine strands.

          Delete

      Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)