Monday, 6 June 2016

Project Polish Winter 2016 Edition

project polish, nail polish

You can catch up on previous editions via the Project Polish tag.

This post could also be named "My polish picks for winter", because (at risk of tooting my own horn) I think I've chosen shades that are perfect for the time of year Australia has just entered into. Whilst none of them are that special, I feel as though the last edition of my year-long Project Polish series is probably the most cohesive of them all.


Anyway, enough of the bragging, let's see what I've chosen....and just a warning, my comments will be all over the place as opposed to the order of swatches.

project polish, nail polish

Butter London - Blowing Raspberries, Knees Up, Queen Vic & Royal Navy
Blowing Raspberries you guys saw in my autumn Project Polish and I'm carrying it over for winter. Knees Up is definitely in my top 3 Butter London faves - I can't resist this crimson-ish metallic red, it looks luxe on my nails. Queen Vic has been described in the past as "wine meets cranberry" and I'd say that's accurate. Royal Navy is exactly what it says on the tin. I did use this for the spring 2015 edition of my Project Polish & I'd say I've used up roughly 1/3 of the bottle. My mission (of sorts) is to get through this particular shade as much as possible by the time this Project Polish finishes.

Ciaté - Knickerbocker Glory
Another colour I'm carrying over from the autumn edition. I think it'll make for a great contrast against Royal Navy and some other colours I have in this edition, so hopefully I'll be able to create some great nail arty manis with it.

Essie - Borrowed & Blue + No Place Like Chrome
I bought Borrowed & Blue when I was in America nearly 2 years ago, but have barely reached for it. I'm kind of hoping I will now due to this project because I think it'll make for a nice pale winter colour. Despite not using No Place Like Chrome as often as I should (I did have it in the aforementioned spring 2015 edition though), I do love it and I may buy a back-up bottle soon.

Kester Black - Laguna
Now for a polish I've yet to try, but have been itching to. Laguna is a deeper, truer teal - certainly deeper and truer than Essie's Garden Variety, which I now own but was afraid to buy at first fearing it'd be a dupe for this. It isn't. *crisis averted* I'm interested to see how this polish goes on my hands as I haven't read too much about Kester Black's formula, aside from the new water permeable base they're using with all of their newer polishes. Mine's got the older formula, but all KB polishes will contain this new base come next year. I think this will match well with Royal Navy at least.

Sea Siren Cosmetics - Pink Champagne, Reflections & Sea Fog
YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I get to try out more polishes I've been itching to try. I think Pink Champagne might just be a good "nude" for me, but we'll have to wait & see. Reflections continues my theme of "thou must have a glitter polish in her Project Polishes" & Sea Fog intrigues me as I'm not a huge wearer of grey things (even though I do like the colour), especially polish. I have been on the hunt for a nice grey créme, so I'm hoping Sea Fog matches the bill.

Zoya - Carmen
The last of the carry-overs from the autumn edition. Can't go past a red creme for winter right? Plus I need to determine once & for all whether or not this remains in my stash or gets passed on (again) to a good home.


I haven't got any expectations surrounding this Project Polish edition; but one thing I will tell you is that I'm going to be wrapping up this edition early. I'm flying overseas in mid-August and there's no way in hell I wish to cart 12 polishes around with me for 2 months, especially when (a) I have luggage restrictions on a couple of flights & (b) I'll be buying a shitload of polish when I get to America later in the trip. Besides, knowing my luck one of them will break!

Added this to Fabulous & Fun Life's Monday Makeup Madness linky link-up - head on over & check out the other great blogs involved!

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

What do you think about my picks? Do they spell "winter" to you?

18 comments:

  1. I love the look of your Butter London Knees Up polish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous Ingrid - definitely one of my favourite BL polishes. Perfect for this time of year & for Christmas too.

      Delete
  2. love your winter colour selections! I usually go with a darker shade during winter. But now I'm leaning more towards bright shades to counterbalance the gloominess

    Lily not Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to lean more towards bright shades myself, but I thought I'd be a bit more winter-y this year. That said I figured I'd throw some lighter stuff in there, just to balance things out.

      Delete
  3. I'm loving Laguna and Reflections. You can never have too much glitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the cut of your jib Di!

      Delete
  4. Perfect polish picks! I am definitely going to have to pick up Kester Black 'Laguna' and Sea Siren 'Sea Fog' for winter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do so! Sea Fog is nicer on the nails than I thought - perfect mid grey.

      Delete
  5. That Kester Black Laguna looks GORGEOUS! at the moment I've just done french tips with a hot pink feature nail but my nail polish collection is quite small :P I think I'll be adding a few of these winter colours to the collection for sure. I find myself usually going with nudes and darker hues for winter, so the darker teal will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laguna is quite nice! I can't do French tips - I'm hopeless at it. Ha, my polish collection was small up until last year...now it has definitely grown!

      Delete
  6. I love how organized this post was, the way you display the colors makes it so easy to read! My favorite would be Essie Borrowed & Blue, but your collection of reds is amazing as well!

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angelina! My collection of reds is quite small compared to some. Blues, on the other hand....let's not go there!

      Delete
  7. We really need to try out some Butter London polishes. Everyone in the beauty world raves about their range, but we still haven't tested it out for ourselves Laguna looks gorgeous. We can just imagine how lovely it would look on

    M + K | A Pair of Ones
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter London's range of polishes is good, but I'm not a huge fan of their thin formula as it chips really quick on me. Laguna's quite nice - I thought it'd be too dark, but now I don't think it is.

      Delete
  8. Oh how pretty they all look Shell - I'm torn between Laguna and Queen Vic, such gorgeous shades, although Queen Vic is probably more practical for me, but then again I'm so in love with teal ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Queen Vic is really nice on the nails, great wine-y shade for winter. I haven't put Laguna on yet, but I should've known you'd love it!

      Delete
  9. Stunning shades in this collection! I need to do a project polish too to help me get through some of my polishes. Enjoy your overseas travels soon..so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you're going to do a Project Polish, make sure you're dedicated to the cause because it can get boring.

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)