Monday, 11 July 2016

A Month of NOTD's

notd

Hiya everyone!

I thought I'd put together a post featuring all the NOTD's (that's Nails of the Day for the uninitiated) I've done over the last month and a bit for you. All of the polishes I've been using are in my Winter Project Polish so no, I haven't been sneaky & used something else!


notd

The first mani off the rank involved a base of Sea Siren Cosmetics' Sea Fog, then 2 coats of Butter London's Royal Navy in a diagonal line. To achieve that line, I painted 1 coat of my beloved Good To Go top coat over Sea Fog, waited about 15 minutes before applying sticky tape in a diagonal across my nails, then painting 2-3 coats of Royal Navy. I was seriously tempted not to do this tape mani & just sport Sea Fog on its own because it was love at first wear, but I really wanted to give this a go and I think it turned out well. I still need to work on getting my lines to look crisper - from memory I did have trouble peeling off the tape cleanly - but overall I think it looked pretty good!

notd

Next up I did 2 coats of Essie's Borrowed & Blue with 1-2 coats of Sea Siren's Reflections as a glitter topper. My initial idea was to do a line of Reflections in the middle of my nail, but upon application I decided I didn't like the idea, so that was scrapped. I quite liked this mani - it felt kinda wintery to me. I probably could've done with an extra coat of Borrowed & Blue as it was quite streaky upon the first coat. It levelled out ok by the 2nd coat + top coat though, but just bear that in mind if you purchase this at some stage. (FYI Aussies, Borrowed & Blue isn't available here sadly.)

notd

My 3rd mani involved an oldie but a goodie - Butter London's Knees Up. From memory I only needed 2 coats. For all the whinging I do about Butter London's formulas, I can't help but ♥♥♥ this shade. It reminds me of Jessica Rabbit's dress & despite the name (a British euphemism for getting drunk), I feel equal parts classy, vampy & (dare I say it) seductive when I sport it. It's a great shade for this time of the year & would be perfect to wear at Christmas too. If you're looking for a dupe, Di from Max the Unicorn recently wore a FABY shade that looks pretty close to Knees Up.

The next idea I had in mine was another tape mani. Again I wanted to use Butter London's Royal Navy, but this time I wanted to do triangles using Ciate's Knickerbocker Glory. However, when I went to remove the tape, my efforts turned into one giant SNAFU & therefore meant I had to remove the entire mani. After that I decided I didn't want to deal with Royal Navy anymore because removing it was painful. I'm talking blueticles & Smurf-esque fingers. Besides, the shade looks more like a midnight blue/black on my nails, not navy.

notd

Not to be deterred, I dusted myself off a few days later, trimmed my nails (one of them had broken) & had a think about what shade I'd like to use next....and decided it was high time I used Kester Black's Laguna. Since teals are notorious for staining, I decided to apply an extra coat of base coat just to be on the safe side. I'm pleased to say that it worked and my fingers weren't stained post-removal WOO! I also applied 2 coats of colour & must say it was pretty opaque even after the first coat. I did see some nail outline after 2 coats, but nothing major. The wider brush was really easy to work with as well - I'm a fan of those types of brushes due to having wide nail beds. I'm pissed off about the blurry photo though - I tried taking it several times, but every single shot came out like this, so I gave up. Nevertheless, I hope this satisfies your curiosity as I know several people were lusting after this shade. :o)

notd

The last & most recent mani involved a base of Sea Siren's Pink Champagne with Essie's No Place Like Chrome dots. What you see here is 3 coats of Pink Champagne, plus the dots. Even though I hate sheer polishes, I can't bring myself to hate Pink Champagne because I think it's a good nude/nude pink shade for me; plus the addition of dots hides any mistakes I made. ;o) That said, could've done a better job of cleaning up my cuticles...

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

What do you think about these shades? Do any of them tickle your fancy?




7 comments:

  1. OMG the spotty manicure is so cute! It is easy to get the dots so neat? I definitely want to try that design, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy once you get the hang of it. I've got a number of dotting tools in various sizes, so I use those for my manis; although you can do it with the end of a bobby pin too. I've done it that way in the past & it still works. I make sure I blot the polish first once it's on the end of my dotting tool, so the dots don't end up too blobby & take forever to dry.

      Delete
    2. I should mention that I blot (or dab) the polish on the end of my dotting tool lightly, not heavily, otherwise you lose all the polish.

      Delete
  2. Loving the dots and admiring your patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! About the only time I really am patient is when doing my nails, although not always.

      Delete
  3. Love love love the dotty mani! xx

    Jasmine / sweetaholic-beauty.com

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)