Friday, 15 July 2016

Project Polish Winter 2016 Update

You can search for previous editions via the Project Polish tag, or you can find out what polishes are in the current edition here.

Hi everyone!

Today I'm going to show you just how much progress I've made in the final instalment of my year-long Project Polish series. Don't expect miracles though - I haven't finished anything!


Here are the polishes I haven't used yet:

project polish, nail polish

Aaaaaand the ones I have:

project polish, nail polish

There's not a lot of progress on Kester Black's Laguna (I've used it twice & I'm currently sporting it on my tootsies), but I will tell you that I'm really digging this shade for winter. All you teal lovers out there won't be disappointed if you purchase it. There's also not a lot of progress on Knees Up (right) and Knickerbocker Glory (below photo, left), but there was enough for me to put a line on both.

I almost put Borrowed & Blue (2nd from left) into my giveaway basket after the one & only time I used it as it was rather streaky on the first coat. It sort of levelled out after the 2nd, but a good dose of top coat made it look reasonable (albeit with some visible nail line underneath) + a bit of glitter in the form of Reflections (below photo, right) thrown over the top didn't go astray.

project polish, nail polish

As mentioned in my last post, even though I hate sheer polishes, I can't quite bring myself to hate Pink Champagne (2nd from left). I might've only used it once on my nails so far, but I have used it a fair bit on my practise wheel, coming up with nail art ideas left right & centre.

I've absolutely fallen in love with Sea Fog (2nd from right). It's a perfect mid-grey & an excellent colour for winter. Will be using that one again as soon as I use the 3 I haven't used yet.

I know I mentioned that I've removed Royal Navy from the project in my last post (and if I didn't, SPOILER ALERT), but I've also removed Zoya's Carmen because I'm still feeling iffy about it. In certain light and certain dress it looks good enough, but I'm unsure whether or not it's completely flattering on me - I think I'm more a fan of blue/pink-based reds, as opposed to neutral reds that lean a bit warm like Carmen - plus the thinner formula chips easily & shows up nail outline, which irks me. I'm still keen to try more Zoya polishes though, but will definitely have to invest in their top & base coat when I go to the States. I hope that'll make a difference.

I've also decided that I'm not going to replace the 2 polishes I've removed from the project since I really want to focus on the 10 remaining. I think that'll be enough to keep me occupied until I go away/end this edition/end the entire project.

I'm happy enough with my progress so far. I know I've said this at almost every update thus far, but I do feel I've made more of a conscious effort to paint my nails (this edition more so than ever) & not have my bottles sit there begging me to use them. Sure, I could do better; but let's face it, I've been a lazy moo with this the entire way through, I'm not likely to change any time soon. ;o)

Taking part yet again in all the Monday Makeup Madness over at Fabulous and Fun Life - you should definitely go & check out the other blogs involved, hint hint!

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

12 comments:

  1. I hate sheer polishes too! & visible nail line! I like being warned about which ones to avoid - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! They're 2 of my pet hates, along with chip-easily formulas.

      Delete
  2. I have way too many nail polishes! I had one decorative box and I said once it was full that was it! Now, 2 decorative boxes later... not sure how that happened! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha always the way isn't it? My own holder is quite close to being full. It'll definitely be overflowing by the time I get back from my trip, just judging by all the polishes on my wishlist...

      Delete
  3. wow that is a really good effort. I use more nail polish to paint my torn stockings than my nails!

    Lily not Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose when you own as many polishes as I do it forces you to do something about it.

      Delete
  4. Kester Black Laguna really appeals to me as I love teal shades. So pretty! Well done, you're doing better than I would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di! Yep, I can definitely vouch for how pretty Laguna is.

      Delete
  5. Stick with it Shell - you're doing just great! Have fallen in love with those top two Butter London shades - SO pretty, and fabulous for brightening up the dreary winter landscape xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kats! I will admit I did some enhancing work to make those 2 Butter London shades look good, but Queen Vic (left) still looks close to the bottle colour.

      Delete
  6. Which of these brand's formulas give you the longest chip-free mani? I'm forever chipping my manis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IMO it's between Essie, Sea Siren Cosmetics & Kester Black, although Essie can be a little hit & miss depending on the shade. OPI are quite good too of course. I think though it comes down to not having your hands in water too much - I always notice my manis chipping quicker when that happens - and also looking after them by keeping your hands & nails moisturised.

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)