Monday, 22 August 2016

Scrub-A-Dub-Dub With Sukin

sukin, body scrubs

Updated 21/10/16
 
I know I've mentioned in the past that I make my own body scrub; but as my recent Priceline haul will attest, I stopped being frugal for a sec & bought a few pre-made scrubs to try out. Today I'm going to give my first impressions of the 2 Sukin body scrubs I purchased - the Renewing Body Scrub with Green Tea & Coconut, plus the Energising Body Scrub with Coffee & Coconut.

Never heard of Sukin before? They're an Australian natural skin & hair care company that have fast become a favourite amongst beauty lovers nationwide, as well as worldwide. (I think I may have seen a UK blogger raving about them recently, but don't quote me on that.) Their focus is on providing affordable & high quality skin & hair care without chemical nasties like sulphates, parabens or harsh detergents. In fact, the list of what they don't include in their products is almost a mile long! (Anyone who has ever bought one of their products would've noticed that list on their packaging.) They're also a cruelty-free company, which is another bonus.


I've tried a couple of Sukin products in the past (namely a shampoo and a facial mist), but can't say I was a fan of either. You know how you want to like certain brands but you just haven't gelled with them? That's me & Sukin. That said, when they released these body scrubs a few months back, I actually got excited about a body care product for the first time in a while & couldn't wait to try them out.

Now that I've given both of them a whirl at least once, here's my first impressions:

  • Both scrubs have a creamy consistency to them - almost like an exfoliating body wash. Despite containing oils, neither of them will leave your bathroom floor feeling slippery, which is a bonus.
  • Out of the 2, the Energising scrub with Coffee & Coconut is the grittiest, presumably due to the coffee grounds contained inside. The Renewing scrub to me just isn't as scrubby as I'd like. Whilst I can feel the walnut shells (aka the exfoliating agent) on my skin once I work it in, I feel that there isn't enough of them in the scrub, which is a bit disappointing. I have since stopped using the Renewing scrub & will be passing it on to someone else, for the reasons I stated a couple of sentences ago.
sukin, body scrubs, swatch
    Top L-R: Renewing Body Scrub with Green Tea & Jojoba, same scrub smoothed out 
    Bottom L-R: Energising Body Scrub with Coffee & Coconut, same scrub smoothed out 
    • Upon first use, both scrubs left my skin feeling soft shortly afterwards; but I did notice with both that my legs felt a bit itchy after a while. I especially noticed with the coffee scrub that my legs felt parched in the hours post-moisturising. Both scrubs have cetearyl alcohol as their 4th ingredient & although cetearyl alcohol is known as a "moisturising" alcohol (for some reason that sounds like an oxymoron to me), I can and have slightly reacted to it in the past and the present. I've never broken out in a rash from it, but I have felt irritation.
    • Both of these smell quite good - the scent in the Renewing scrub with Green Tea & Jojoba is refreshing & fairly subtle, whereas the Energising scrub hits you with a strong coffee scent. If you ever needed a pick-me-up in the morning, one sniff of this scrub should do the trick! Having said that, neither scent lingers on the skin once you wash off the scrub sadly.
    • I found with the Energising scrub that my skin did feel somewhat invigorated post-use. I'm not sure if it's because I left the scrub on my skin for a minute or so, but I do think this particular scrub lives up to its "energising" name.
    •  
    Based on first impressions, I don't think I'll re-purchase the Renewing Scrub once its finished, but I might consider re-purchasing the Energising Scrub. I guess time will tell whether or not any of these become a firm favourite of mine; but for now it's like these products & I are in the early stages of dating & we're trying to work out whether or not we're compatible. As mentioned above, I'm giving the Renewing Scrub away to someone else. I am however going to keep the Energising Scrub because I like it enough to continue using it.

    Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

    Have you ever tried anything from Sukin before? What do you think of the brand? Would these tickle your fancy?

    1 comment:

    1. I'm so hit or miss with Sukin. I know there have been some products I've enjoyed, but the last facial cleanser I tried I really didn't like. These don't sound scrubby enough for me, I get annoyed with gentle scrubs! Haha.

      ReplyDelete

    Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)