Friday, 21 October 2016

The Trip Haul (Part 1): Makeup, Hair & Fragrance

Hola mi amigas I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

I don't know about you, but whenever I return from a holiday it takes me a while to get back into the swing of things. Whilst I can't say this time around was any different, I did however decide to ease any internal pressure by delaying all blog work (except photography) for an extra week. Putting myself under pressure to deliver just raises my stress levels & a stressed-out Shell is no bueno for anyone or anything, let alone this blog.

But enough about that, let's get to the good stuff...betcha dying to know what I hauled right? And when I say hauled, I mean hauled! I was very good with myself up until I got to the US & from there on in it was hell for leather as far as my spendage was concerned. A 32-odd kg suitcase & Virgin America collecting $75US from me for my flight from San Francisco to Honolulu later....luckily for me, I cruised back home to Sydney so there were no further excess baggage charges to pay, hooray! I consider myself pretty lucky to have paid it just the once.


For this post + future haul posts (just a heads up - there'll be 4 of them in total), I'm going to try (try being the operative word) & keep words to a minimum as much as possible & just show you what I bought. 

MAKEUP

hauls, makeup
 
Bare Minerals The Bare Neutrals + Sexy Neutrals palettes  
I really wanted The Nature of Nudes palette, but Ulta were the only store selling it…and it was online only…dammit. These were the compromise. Ironically, I’ve used the Sexy Neutrals more than the Bare Neutrals – I say ironically because (a) I bought the Bare Neutrals first and (b) almost didn’t buy the Sexy Neutrals. One thing to note: due to the chromatic surface of the palettes, they’re really prone to fingerprint smudges, as you'll see below.


bare minerals, makeup
I have cleaned them since.
Too Faced Hangover Primer
Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel in Opal 01  
This + the Hangover Primer have been raved about by other bloggers, so I was keen to purchase them. I've tried both once & so far I’m liking the primer a bit more than the tinted moisturiser. Got a feeling the latter is going to make me break out as I noticed my skin looked a bit spotty (but not in a pimply way) once I removed it.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz x2 (Medium Brown) 
It made sense for me to buy 2, since one here costs $38, as opposed to $21US...

No Bleeding Lips Invisible Lip Liner  
Purchased this based on a recommendation in Redbook magazine (which I read whilst in the US) & I’m glad I got it as it’s pretty good. I put it to the test whilst wearing my Bite Beauty Pomegranate High Pigment Pencil (a true red) & not once did my lippy bleed or feather.

Bite Beauty High Pigment Lip Pencil (Tulip)  
This shade doesn’t appear how it should on my lips. You’ll see why when I update my Bite Beauty post. (I’ve reverted that post to draft for now until I’m ready to re-publish it.)

Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask (Original)
You didn’t expect me to go to the States & not stock up on my HG product did you?

Bare Minerals Prime Time Eye Primer  
Eye primer has been on my to-buy list for ages & since I was buying Bare Minerals eyeshadows, I figured why not get an eye primer from the same brand? So far I like it & it seems to hold onto product well, but not so well that I can’t remove it later.

Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche lipsticks (Fig, Sangria, Sour Cherry, Fig + a sample size of Gazpacho)
Sangria = amaaaaaaazeballs on my complexion! I adore bright lipsticks & Sangria’s blue-based fuchsia pink makes my blue eyes pop. I initially thought about giving away my Gazpacho sample but since it was a shade I wanted, I’ve kept it. Also pleased to note that I had no adverse reactions to this newer formula.

Sephora Mini Citrus Brush Cleaner
Lily Lolo Laid Bare eyeshadow palette

HAIR

hauls, hair products

Denman Grooming Brush + Large Paddle Brush  
I've been after a Denman brush for ages, but couldn't make up my mind between this and the Grooming Brush, so naturally I thought "porque no los dos?", like a certain someone on a certain ad. (Apologies for the dented boxes, they got thrown around a bit in my carry-on.)


The Wet Brush (colour: Bombshell Blue)  
I’d seen Kat from Kitsch Snitch raving about this brush ages ago & I must say her raves were on point because this brush is 1000 kinds of wonderful. Wet Brush, WHERRRRRRRRRRRRRE HAAAAAAAAAAAVE YOOOOOOOOOOU BEEEEEEEEEEEEN all my life? All those times where knots have either been cut out or yanked from my hair....all of that could've been reversed if I had you around!

GHD Heat Protect Spray (UK Version)  
I say UK version since (a) I bought it there (cheers John Lewis!) and (b) unlike the Aussie version, this doesn’t contain alcohol denat, aka my scalp’s #1 enemy. The scent of it isn’t great (smells like men’s deodorant), but I’ll forgive GHD for it since it does the job.

R&Co Badlands Dry Shampoo Paste  
As I pretty much noted above, alcohol & my scalp don't get along. It's difficult hearing people rave about dry shampoo when you know your scalp chucks one hell of a hissy fit if you use it. This raved-about paste thankfully doesn’t contain any alcohol (YAY) & definitely gives me volume (albeit of the bed-hair type), but the amount vs price tag was enough to make me wince! (About 62gm/2.2 fl.oz for $28!) Luckily you only need a tiny amount.

R&Co Aircraft Pomade Mousse + Chiffon Styling Mousse
Oh the lengths I went to just to get a hold of the Aircraft Mousse! Searched high & low throughout New York & San Francisco, only to find it had sold out just about everywhere except for a random hairdressing salon I stumbled across in SF called “Sorry I broke your heart”. If only I’d known Neiman Marcus at Ala Moana shops in Honolulu sold it, then I would’ve saved an extra 4% in state tax…oh well…

Loreal Root Cover Up spray (Dark Brown)  
Only bought this to hide my regrowth/greys on the way home and now I’ve got a back-up for the can I reviewed here. Side note: In the US, they sell a red-head version of this, instead of light brown. Interesting…

Invisibobbles (clear)
Random hair ties

FRAGRANCE

fragrance, hauls

Lacoste Pour Elle L.12.12 30mL (Natural)
For some reason we Aussies only have the 50mL & 90mL versions of this and the other 2 fragrances in the L.12.12 range (the others being Sparkling, which I already own, and Elegant). I bought this 30mL size from a Douglas store in Berlin based on a quick check of the Euro-Aussie $ conversion rate…and the fact that I got the giant bag featured in the photo as a GWP! I have to admit this bag was a handy pick-up as it became my carry-on bag upon leaving San Francisco – by then I had too much stuff for my original carry-on.

3 x Travalos (red on the left, blue + silver on the right)  
I’ve wanted at least 1 of these refillable travel perfume holders for ages, but Adore Beauty want $24.95AUD for them, which is kinda outrageous if you ask me. Why buy 1 for that price when you can buy 3 for around the same price + tax from Nordstrom Rack? I’m kicking myself now for not picking up at least 1 or 2 more. I’ve already filled up the blue & silver ones with Calvin Klein’s Eternity Aqua & DKNY’s Be Delicious; not sure what will go into the red one though.

YSL Black Opium rollerball
Versace Bright Crystal Absolu rollerball

Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede + Nectarine & Honey Blossom (both 30mL)  
Another set of perfumes I’ve lusted after for a while, but were unwilling to pay Aussie prices for. These were a (literal) pre-birthday gift to myself (because #treatyoself) & were so beautifully boxed, until security at Gatwick Airport made me un-box them because some dumbarse forgot to put them in a clear bag before going through the pre-boarding check…ooops…I’ve worn both of them and prefer the latter over the former as Peony & Blush Suede smells a bit nanna-ish. I’ll continue wearing it though as I don’t want to waste £48.

Elizabeth & James Nirvana White rollerball  
*joins the million other beauty bloggers who have this*

Fresh Sugar Lychee rollerball  
You might recall me mentioning this in my perfume collection & wish list post from earlier in the year, which I'll also update soon. I originally bought this as a back-up for my other rollerball since Fresh isn’t stocked here (if anybody from the company is reading this, hurry the hell up & come to Australia!); but when my Mum wore it one night on the cruise & fell in love with it, I did a good deed & gave her my half-used rollerball (which I took away with me) since I know she won’t use up a full one.


All up, I think I did pretty well with my purchases & they're all things I know I'll use, or have already begun using. If there's anything here that you'd like me to review or feature on TNL, let me know in the comments below & I'll do my best to talk about it at some stage!

This post has been added to the Monday Makeup Madness link up over at Fabulous and Fun Life. Go check out the other blogs involved & show some love!

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

16 comments:

  1. Super excellent haulage, well done!!! I really need to get back to the States . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! There's more haulage to come, so stay tuned. :o) Yes you do need to get back to the States, if only to right the wrongs of last time!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, and what a great haul! You picked up quite a few Bite Beauty goodies, I'm keen to check out that brand, don't know much about them though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di! I do love me some Bite Beauty I admit. I'm going to update/revamp a previous post I did featuring their lipsticks, but that might be a while off.

      Delete
  3. omg great haul, look at all the bite beauty lippies!!! can't wait to see swatches :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lily! I know, I kinda went overboard with the lippies, but they're all shades I know I'll wear at some stage.

      Delete
  4. Lucky, lucky you! Great haul post! I can't see what else you hauled!
    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid! I know, I'm incredibly lucky just to have done the trip alone, let alone come home with a massive haul. I can't wait to show everyone the rest of it!

      Delete
  5. Wow fabulous haul!! I can't wait to go to the States. I'll probably either with 3 pairs of clothes to make room for the massive haul... take my son to utilise one suitcase for clothes and one for haul... or post it home hehehe :P So many good things we can't get!! Can't wait to se the rest haha
    - Jackie (Lipstick, Lattes & Louboutins)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie! Yeah you might want to pack a spare suitcase or 2, especially if you're planning on hauling a lot of stuff home. I'm surprised I managed to fit everything in!

      Delete
  6. That's an amazing haul! I can't live without my Wet Brush - it is a life-changer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know, it really has been a life changer for me (although I still have to apply some detangler first before putting the brush through).

      Delete
  7. I may have to put a towel over my keyboard to catch the drool if subsequent posts are anything like this one - absolutely awesome Shell, well done, and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an amazing haul! So many good picks! You won't regret getting the Too Faced Hangover Primer, it is one of my favourites. I am also really keen to know what you think of the Bare Minerals palettes. They look great! The Wet Brush sounds amazing, will have to look into that one. I also own the Elizabeth & James Nirvana White rollerball and it's gorgeous. Definitely worth all the hype it receives! x

    Sarah | Bows & Pleats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! The Too Faced primer is quite nice I admit. All the feel of a moisturiser but works excellently as a primer (gosh that sounds like an advert haha). I'll do my best to put together a post regarding those Bare Minerals palettes down the track!

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)