Friday, 9 December 2016

10 Things I Love and Hate About Summer

summer
Hanauma Bay, Oahu, Hawaii, circa 2009
As a fan of warmer climes, it's only natural that summer is one of my favourite seasons (spring being the other favourite). If I had the dough, I'd chase an eternal summer & escape north once the weather turns chilly in Sydney. However, in the interests of balance & keeping bias to an even level, there are some things that I hate about it too & that's what today's post is all about.


Here are my top 5 loves & hates about this glorious period of the year that I'm currently in:

Summer Lovin'


Summer fruit
Specifically mangoes, white nectarines & cherries. Om nom nom.

via GIPHY
Summer fashion
When it comes to clothes & shoes, I get way more excited for spring/summer than I do for autumn/winter. As I mentioned in my winter loves & hates post, the only winter fashion bits I get excited about are coats, scarves & boots. Spring/summer, on the other hand, there's gorgeous dresses, skirts, shoes & just a whole lot of brighter colours & prints on offer. I like getting dressed up more during summer & I also find it easier to dress casually during the warmer months instead of resorting to the same old long-sleeved tops with jeans, boots & a coat combo I sport during winter.

Being able to get out of bed in the morning without rugging up
Self-explanatory really. As much as it's enjoyable to snuggle under the covers, I feel way more energised & ready to get out of bed when it's warmer.

Daylight savings 
I know there are people out there who hate daylight savings & I also know that not every part of Australia has it (sucks to be you QLD, WA & NT); but I đź’™ it because I feel as though I can still get shit done even when its 7pm in the evening...like blog photography, for example. I admit I don't take as much advantage of it as I should, but I like knowing it's there for my enjoyment.
  
It's at least 25C+ every day...
...and I live for that kind of weather. It's also prime time for a mani-pedi, as well as indulging in ice-cream/gelato/sorbet without freezing your butt off. I also like to make homemade ice-blocks (that's ice lollys or popsicles for the UK & US folk) for dessert in the warmer months - my specialty being mango & coconut water flavoured ones. Oh so good & processed sugar free!

Summer Hatin'


Mosquitos
These insect vampires seem to lurrrrrve my skin. I read somewhere earlier this year that mosquitos are attracted to people with an O blood type and whilst I'm unsure of my blood type, all I know is that these little critters dig what I've got going on. Flies also seem to be attracted to me for some reason.

The humidity
Whilst Sydney is neither the tropics nor Brisbane, we seem to cop our fair share of humid days throughout summer. I hate it because aside from feeling like I'm melting in a pool of my own sweat, it messes with my tresses big time. Hello flyaways & an extra-greasy scalp.

No air-conditioning at home
What I wouldn't give for some sweet AC when it's 40C/104F outside and all I've got to keep me cool are portable fans.

My pool being out of order
I have one and it's been out of use for a very long time. It sucks hearing the neighbourhood kids enjoying theirs on a hot day.

That summer is over before I know it
I don't know about you, but time just goes way way waaaaaaaaaay too fast once you become an adult. The same thing happens with summer every year - it feels like a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kinda season. I get to February & wonder where the heck the last 3 months went! (Although technically summer lasts until the autumn equinox in mid-March, but who pays attention to that?)

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

What do you love & hate about summer?

2 comments:

  1. It's 16.4 outside as we speak and I am wondering where summer actually is?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys sure have had a bad time with the weather in Adelaide recently! It's been quite windy here in Sydney today & a lot cooler, so I'm feeling you on that one (although it's not 16.4). I'm kinda wondering where the hell consistency went!

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)