Thursday, 29 December 2016

Empties Time! (December)

December 2016 empties

*cough*

We interrupt this end-of-year round-up week to bring you the last empties post of 2016! Can't believe we're 2 days away from NYE - is it just me or has this year gone far too fast? 

I'm pretty happy with the amount of products used up this month, although I would've liked to have finished a couple more. They'll probably end up in the January 2017 post anyway.


Let's see what I've consigned to the rubbish bin this month:

December 2016 empties



Avéne Thermal Water
What can I say other than I like using this on hot days, or when my face goes red after a too-hot shower. Repurchase? Yes, but not right now since I'm using Caudalie's Grape Water.

The Cancer Council Sensitive SPF50+ Sunscreen
A regular in my empties posts & for good reason. Won't live without SPF of any kind. Repurchase? Another tube has just been opened.

Alba Botanica Body in the Buff Firming Scrub (Espresso & Coffee Beans)
You might remember seeing this in one of my Trip Haul posts. Not a bad scrub - certainly better than the Sukin coffee scrub I reviewed, in terms of scrubby-ness & how soft my skin felt afterwards - but not the best I've tried methinks. It got a little messy in the shower (coffee scrub on white tiles!) & the soapy consistency of it might be a turn-off for some. Repurchase? Probably not since I can't get it here & I'm ambivalent about it.

La Mav Rose Hydrating Mist
Really liked this! It was nice & wet in terms of a mist & my skin certainly felt hydrated whenever I used it. Repurchase? Definitely, but not until I finish 3 other facial mists.

The Jojoba Company 100% Australian Jojoba Oil
The last one! Gosh am I glad to finally get rid of this. I mentioned in the last empties how I'd been wanting to use this stuff up & move on & whilst I haven't found a new facial oil yet, I'm hoping I will sometime in the New Year. Repurchase? No....although I'd consider using it as a body oil. 

December 2016 empties 2

Pacifica Moisturise Energize Moisturising Serum Wipes
I've been using these purely to wipe off makeup swatches & also clean my hands if they've become grubby whilst I'm out. These have a pleasant scent & feel moisturising enough, but I doubt I'd ever use them on my face for makeup removal & the like as they are drying & the scent could be irritating for my sensitive skin. Repurchase? No.

Pacifica Purify Coconut Water Cleansing Wipes
Same deal here as with the Moisturising Serum wipes. Repurchase? Nope.

Botani Olive Hand Cream
I know I say this every single time, but regulars know that this has been my HG hand cream for some time. Now that I've finished my last tube, sadly I'm consigning this to the beauty graveyard as I'm sure as hell not paying $25 for 1 tube on their website. Priceline, bring it back! Repurchase? Not unless I found it cheaper elsewhere.

Sensodyne True White toothpaste (Mint)
Long-time readers will know that I've been flipping back & forth between this & the Sensodyne Repair & Protect whitening toothpaste & well, I've finally come to a conclusion. This isn't all that great at whitening nor does it help with my sensitive teeth, plus it's exxy. Now that Sensodyne have re-formulated the entire Repair & Protect range & taken out the one ingredient I couldn't cope with (sodium laureth sulphate/SLS), I've gone back to that. Repurchase? Not if you paid me.

December 2016 empties 3

Goldwell Kerasilk Color Conditioner (sample)
I got this + the colour shampoo in my July Beautorium package & it's taken me this long to finish it because (a) I got the package a week after I left for my trip & (b) I've had other stuff to finish first. One thing I like about this conditioner is that it's purple-tinged like the shampoo, albeit lightly. What I didn't like about it was that it didn't have a whole lot of slip (it's quite thin) & I felt that it didn't do anything to make my mid-lengths & ends feel soft. I'll admit that I used up most of it for shaving my legs & armpits lol. Repurchase? No.

Goldwell Kerasilk Color Shampoo (sample)
As mentioned, I also got this in my July Beautorium package, although my Dad had used half of it before I got a chance to try it. (Not that he has coloured hair or anything - my Mum probably told him to use it without realising what kind of hair it's for.) Unlike the conditioner, this shampoo is strongly purple-tinted, which has been great for me since going down the balayage route recently. I feel like the color shampoo & conditioner combo has really helped bring out those highlights & prevented brassiness. However, I noticed that if I didn't wash this out properly, my scalp ended up looking as if I'd had a whole lotta snowflakes dumped on my head. Also, this shampoo is rather thick & I need to thin it out a bit first before applying to my scalp. Repurchase? Un-decided tbh. I don't think I will, but you never know.

Lanolips 101 Ointment (original)
Another regular in my empties posts. Lip balm is something I refuse to live without & when I misplace a tube somewhere around my house, my lips feel it...and my parents joke that I ought to have a homing device attached to my tubes lol. Repurchase? Got another tube on the go as this post goes live.

Sea Siren Cosmetics - Pink Champagne mini nail polish
Holy shizzle my nizzles, I've panned another polish! I'll admit that I had a tiny amount left in the bottle after I last painted with this, so I poured the rest out. This pale white-ish pink polish required 4 coats for opacity & IMO wasn't worth it. It also began to thicken by the time I last painted with it, so I had to use up the rest sooner rather than later. Repurchase? Nope.

Oral-B Satin Tape 
Another item you see a lot in my empties. Gotta keep those areas between the teeth clean people! Besides, it'd be trés embarrassing if you had a photo of yourself with a poppy seed or something green in your front tooth, right? Repurchase? Already have. 

Avéne Spot Treatment Pen
My zit treatment of choice. It never lets me down. Repurchase? Already have.

I'm thinking of adding a monthly & yearly tally to future empties posts, just for interest's sake & because I think it might be fun to see how much crap stuff I finish per month. What do you think? Let me know in the comments below.

Linking up with the Monday Makeup Madness crew.

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

How many products did you finish this month?

20 comments:

  1. You've done well for the last empties post of the year. Wishing you a happy and safe NY xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to try the Avene Spot pen!
    I don't get breakouts often, however when I do they are big angry welts ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a goodie! I get pimples disguised as welts from time to time (mostly on my neck for some reason) & they can take forever to go down. :o(

      Delete
  3. So many good empties, nice work on the sunscreen!!

    Laura || www.thelifeoflaura.com.au xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have gone through some amazing products!! I will have to pick up the Avéne Thermal Water, it has been on my wish list for awhile now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! It's nice to have when the weather is hot.

      Delete
  5. i am using the caudalie grape water now too. great for a fast feeling of a more fresh skin !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just finished my small can of it & I agree, it's really nice & fresh feeling. Unfortunately Caudalie's a bit expensive here, so I don't think I'll buy it again until I'm overseas.

      Delete
  6. Loving the sound of the Avene Thermal Water and the La Mav Rose Hydrating Mist. This reminds me I have a Mario Badescu Rosewater Face Spray I haven't even tried yet lol. Well done getting through this lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tested that Mario Badescu spray out once in Mecca, but for some reason couldn't get on board. I can't remember why now.

      Delete
  7. Never heard about any of these products, but must say.. You did an amazing job with empties. x

    Michelle Morchella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. :o)

      All of the products here are either from Australia, the US, the UK or France; but I'd say the majority in this empties are from Australia...hence why you may not have heard of them.

      Delete
  8. Congrats to you Shell - I just love these posts as well as doing my own, I get a real sense of achievement at having finished ANYTHING lol. Pity about the Botani hand cream - I'm currently loving Natural Secrets Goatsmilk hand cream, resurrected my paws from the house move effect, and it's only $10 from the chemist xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you re: sensing achievement! It feels really good to finish stuff, even if you didn't particularly like it. Might have to check out that hand cream!

      Delete
  9. Forgot to add bring on the yearly tally babe - I daren't do it as I'd probably faint if I took out my calculator ha ha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I been loving using my Avene thermal Water lately too! So refreshing and uplifting in Summer!

    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so nice on hot days like the ones we've had in Sydney this week. I've got to pick up another can ASAP!

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)