Friday, 30 December 2016

My Biggest Beauty Discoveries of 2016

beauty, 2016
 
For me, 2016 was not only a year of discovering new products, but also a year of daring to venture outside of my comfort zone a little & stop being so afraid of using stuff that I had but was rarely using, like curling wands & eyeshadows for example.

Rather than featuring products that came onto the market this year & doing a standard end-of-year beauty round-up (which, let's be honest, would feature about 5000 nail polishes & nothing else), this post is all about the discoveries I made in the beauty realm in 2016. Let's see what made the cut:
cleanser, micellar water, Pixi, Essano, beauty

Micellar water
I'll be honest here & say that I really didn't get the hype surrounding micellar water when it began appearing on Australian beauty shelves several years ago. As someone who generally steers clear of using a multitude of chemicals on her skin, finding a micellar water that didn't contain a whole bunch of unrecognisable and/or questionable ingredients appeared to be an impossible task...until I discovered Kiwi brand Essano and their Gentle Facial Cleansing Micellar Water. Thanks to a couple of blogger reviews, I picked up a small bottle, quickly fell in love with it & purchased the big bottle. Now I refuse to live without it...or the next item in my list...

Cleansing balm
I never realised how beneficial a cleansing balm would be for me until I purchased & tried Pixi's Nourishing Cleansing Balm whilst in San Francisco back in September. Despite consuming enough fruit & veg & drinking a fair amount of water, my skin is still dehydrated & this balm does my skin a world of good in terms of nourishment each time I use it. I'm trying to conserve my use since I've now hit pan on it, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be re-purchasing as soon as I run out. I can't sing its praises enough!

Busting out the eyeliner & wearing it more often
As I mentioned back in my "confessions of a beauty novice" post, I've never felt like a boss when it comes to applying eyeliner. I guess I've been afraid of ending up like a raccoon or something. Granted, that thought still terrifies me; but at least I can say now that I'm not afraid of lining my top lash line. I think taking the 2 Eye of Horus eyeliners I own away with me overseas finally convinced me to stop being a scaredy-cat & start learning how to use them properly. Now if someone could teach me how to use it on my lower lash line without feeling like a total nong, that'd be great!

beauty discoveries
Sheet masks
Like any number of beauty trends coming out of South Korea, the sheet mask trend has exploded in 2016, with many Western skincare brands now jumping on the bandwagon. Beauty lovers like myself have been getting onboard, although for me I'm still not entirely convinced of its greatness....or maybe I just haven't found the right one yet? Still, I reckon they're a bit of fun, especially if you feel like scaring the people you live with...or yourself (see left).

Serums
As I get older, I'm really beginning to think about the effects of ageing, as well as seeing all the sun damage I accrued in my 20's showing up in the form of pigmentation, dehydration & a less than youthful glow. Whilst I still pass for a 20-something (apparently), I'm conscious of the fact that it won't last forever & that if I want to keep appearing young, then I've got to do something about it. I became obsessed with the idea of serums this year & whilst my first foray into that world (with Grown Alchemist's Detox+3 Antioxidant Serum) didn't quite work out as well as I may have wanted it to, it hasn't stopped me from wanting to explore them even more. I've got a few on my wishlist & I'm keen to try them for myself in 2017.

Coffee body scrubs
For some reason I became mad about coffee body scrubs in 2016 & bought a few of them at the last Priceline 40% off skincare sale. Whilst the Sukin coffee scrub wasn't for me, I quite enjoyed the CLab & Co + SugarBaby ones & would happily re-purchase them; however, I want to give the DIY thing a go again & save myself some dosh by making my own coffee scrub.

beauty, primers, makeup, Too Faced, Bare Minerals
The value of eye & face primers
Up until this year, primer was one of those things that I knew I needed, but I still felt was overrated. Like really Napoleon Perdis, is it truly a crime not to prime? Well, I can say now that unless you want your makeup disappearing within an hour or so, then yes, perhaps it is a crime not to prime! I'm currently using the Too Faced Hangover Primer for my face, which I'm a bit so-so about. Whilst it holds onto my makeup, it can break me out. I've also found that if I use it with mineral foundation, then I end up getting flaky around my nostrils.

As for eye primer, I'm glad I've finally invested in it because now my newly acquired oily eyelids can do one! I'm currently using Bare Minerals' Prime Time (the standard, skin-coloured version) & it's not too bad. It seems to hold onto eyeshadow fairly well, provided they're a pressed shadow & not a loose pigment like all the Alima Pure ones I own. Then again, I've yet to find anything that'll work well with those...*sigh*

THE WET BRUSH!!!!
Apologies for the caps, but I đź’™ this brush so damn much. Who would've thought that such a simple item could become a well-loved tool in my beauty arsenal? I know there's heaps of detangling brushes out there & if I'm honest, I still have my eye on the much-hyped Dessata Detangling Brush in rose gold, but for now I'm quite happy with this as it does the job very well. I'm quite rough with my hair when combing (those of you with easily knotty hair will be feeling this) & this tool combined with some detangling spray (damn you balayage!) allows me to not be so tough on my poor mane.

A great hairdresser is worth their weight in G-O-L-D
You know when change is in the air & you can feel it coming, yet you feel a sense of trepidation about it? This is how I felt about switching hairdressers.

After finding out my (now ex) hairdresser was pregnant for the first time early last year & with the knowledge that she'd be spending time away from the salon with her bub, I started thinking that maybe it was time to go to someone else. It wasn't that I was unhappy with her (far from it); I got itchy feet & wanted to switch things up, not only with who tended to my mane but my mane itself. The only thing standing in my way was my terrible procrastination habit. I sat on this idea for months on end until change was forced upon me around late January/early February when I called up the salon, only to discover a completely unrecognisable voice on the other end, to whom I didn't feel comfortable visiting.

Cut a long story short, I now go to one close to my house where the girls are not only friendly, but actually know their shit and are passionate about delivering a great service overall. My new hairdresser is the bomb.com & although I didn't quite know how to take her at first (she's got a strong personality & can come across as a bitch), we get along quite well & from the get go she's always listened to what I want, as well as explaining what she's going to do with my hair because as she's told me several times, it's not much point being in the business if you're not passionate about what you do - it's just as important to her that I get a great colour & cut as it is to me. I've never had that with a hairdresser before & I appreciate it muchly. I even referred my Mum to her after she busted up with her ex-hairdresser & she loved her first visit so much she immediately booked her next one!

OMG, totally forgot to do this, I'm so sorry & embarrassed...call it holiday brain if you will...but I did link this with the special extended holiday edition of Monday Makeup Madness.

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

What were your biggest beauty discoveries of 2016?

18 comments:

  1. I'm in hairdresser limbo right now, mine moved to Melbourne a year ago, and I've been struggling to replace her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Don't you hate it when that sort of thing happens? Hopefully you can find a new one soon. I guess I got lucky with mine, but I know how much of a struggle it is to find a great hairdresser.

      Delete
  2. I really want to try both the Pixi Cleansing Balm and Too Faced Hangover Primer so it's interesting to see them on your list, particularly your so-so feeling about the primer...still undecided whether to pick it up or not...

    Hope you have a wonderful New Year xx

    Laura || www.thelifeoflaura.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have issues with one of the ingredients in the primer, but I'm not quite sure which ingredient that is. I'll still use it because I don't want to waste it + it does the job, but it's not something I'm going to re-purchase once I'm done.

      Hope you have a great 2017 too! I'm sure your blogging star will continue to rise further & further - you're doing great there!

      Delete
  3. I seem to go in and out of using eyeliner, either or both on my bottom and top lashes. Sometimes I do both and then I go months without using it at all. Weird, because I love playing with the liquid kind especially and using different shades. The latest obsession of mine is using a damp brush to apply a copper or brown eyeshadow shade which seems to be working well for me and softening the look instead of using a harsh bold liquid line all the time to shape my eyes :) Happy New Year by the way!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a liquid liner, but I've yet to play with it because I don't want it to dry out from non-use. I'd like to use a liner brush & line my eyes with eyeshadow, but I don't have one atm. Happy New Year to you too Candice!

      Delete
  4. Great picks! I'm still afraid of eyeliner :) and am also in hairdresser limbo! I'm very picky with who cuts or even touches my hair, so it is a very long process for me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still am to some extent, but my relationship with eyeliner is getting better. It's a case of picking it up & using it regardless! I hope you too can find a new hairdresser soon.

      Delete
  5. I really want to try that Pixi Cleansing Balm! Did you see Caroline Hirons is releasing a newer version with Pixi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I heard something about that, but can't be too sure. If it's as good as the original, I might grab a jar!

      Delete
  6. I really want to try the too faced hangover primer. I'm the biggest fan of Sephora eyeshadow primer, but they discontinued it, so I'm on a hunt to find something great. Maybe I'll try the Bare Minerals eye primer. :)

    Michelle Morchella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bare Minerals eye primer is pretty good; but it's the only one I've really tried, so I haven't got anything to compare it with.

      Delete
  7. I've been swapping and changing hairdressers for the past 12 months+ trying to find the elusive hairdresser I'm completely happy with!

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard isn't it? My Mum's swapped hairdressers 3 times in the last 18 months or so & I think she's now happy with the one I go to thankfully.

      Delete
  8. My biggest discover of 2016 would have to be Olaplex! Changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a little bit about Olaplex, but not enough to investigate further. Is it like a keratin treatment or something? If so, I'll avoid it as I've had one of those before & it did nothing for my hair.

      Delete
  9. I am so up in the air about sheet masks as well! I bought a whole heap last year, but I find them a bit uncomfortable to wear. I think I'm just really used to the face masks you slather on then wash off. Hope I can learn to love them this year because I have a lot to get through, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not overly bothered by the comfortability factor, I just find (particularly with serum-based sheet masks) that the excess product left over is a bit of a waste tbh, plus it's a chore using up the excess over several nights. I've got a few sheet masks to get through too, but unless I love them, I won't be buying any more - I prefer the slather & wash off masks too.

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)