Monday, 13 February 2017

10 Ways Every Single Gal Can Celebrate Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day

As someone who has been single pretty much her whole life, I'm accustomed to being sans man come February 14th. You might think I'd be upset about that (and I have been, from time to time); but for the most part, I'm not. Just because all the flowers, chocolates & candlelit dinners are meant for the lovers doesn't mean that I nor any other singleton can't embrace the spirit of St Valentine in our own way! Who says we have to miss out?


So with that sentiment in mind, here's 10 ways my fellow single ladies can celebrate Singles Awareness Day Valentines Day, regardless of whether you do it on the day or during the week:

  1. Take time to relax & pamper yourself. I'm not talking a full spa ritual with the price tag to match (although if you've got the dough, why not?), I'm talking bringing the spa to your own home with a fluffy robe/towel, some scented candles, your favourite bath salts/bubble bath/bath bomb & a filled-up bathtub just waiting for you to hop in. If you don't have a bath, you can still re-create that spa experience with your shower - drop a few drops of your favourite essential oil onto the shower floor & let the steam diffuse the scent. Afterwards, why not give yourself a facial, or even a mani-pedi?
  2. Get together with your friends. Regardless of whether your pals are single or not, wrangling the girls together for a night in or out is something we all should do every now & again, especially if one of you has been hurting big time of late.
  3. Write letters to your exes....then burn them. Send them gratitude for the lessons they gave you, or put them on blast for being that arsehole who tore your heart to shreds. Whichever scenario makes you feel better, just do it. Don't forget to destroy the evidence!
  4. Sign up for that thing you've been thinking about. Whether it be a class of some sort, the gym or that holiday you've been dreaming about, now's the time to do it. Consider it a V Day present to yourself.
  5. Ask out that hottie you've been crushing on. It doesn't have to be a 3-course dinner with booze to match - even something as simple as "drinks sometime" is fine. You don't have to do it tomorrow if you don't want to appear desperado, you could do it Wednesday to avoid the cliché. If he says no, then chalk it up as experience. If he says yes, then great. It'll give you a chance to work out whether he's a total knob or FBM (Future Boyfriend Material).
  6. Cook dinner for your loved ones, then clean up afterwards. Unless you're a terrible cook - in that instance, order in. You can still clean up post-dinner!
  7. Spread a little love to your friends/family. Tell them all the reasons you love them. Build them up through a text, call, Facebook message, a card, a letter....doesn't matter. (Although I'd write it down myself. It's more personal that way.) What does matter is that they'll be tickled pink by your gesture.
  8. Listen to all your favourite break-up songs...and thank your lucky stars that you're not in that situation right now. Who hasn't listened to You Oughta Know at full volume before? 
  9. Perform a random act of kindness. I'm pretty sure there's been studies that have shown how such acts boost our happy hormones & those of others, so why not shout that person behind you their morning coffee?
  10. Give yourself some love. Write down all the deliciously good things about yourself & put it somewhere where you'll see it every morning. Start tomorrow morning with some loving affirmations, if you dig that kind of thing. Do something that feeds your soul & spirit in a way that chocolate, cocktails & Cheetos can't.
As for me, I'm taking myself out on a day date tomorrow, because I've given myself grief of late & I have some making up to do. Besides, as a wise drag queen once said:

If you can't love yourself, how the hell you gonna love someone else?

Can I get an amen?

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

How will you be spending Valentine's Day?

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I decided to give myself some me time today for Valentine's Day, having a little pamper session!

    Laura || www.thelifeoflaura.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad you do Laura! Me time is so important & not just on one day of the year either.

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)