Monday, 6 February 2017

Swatch & Review: Essie Summer 2016 Collection (Partial)

Essie, nail polish, Viva Antigua! collection

Hola mi amigas!

Today's post is brought to you by the letter E....for Essie that is.

Yep, that's right, I've got a new batch of limited edition Essie polishes to show you, this time from the summer 2016 collection titled "Viva Antigua!" (exclamation mark on purpose). Unfortunately we haven't got this collection in Australia & it's making me wonder WTF is going on at Essie's Australian HQ. I mean, we're nearing the end of summer & all we've got on our shelves is some makeshift "summer" collection featuring permanent shades, none of which I wish to buy. I want my Viva Antigua dammit! Edit: Turns out we Aussies are not going to be receiving this collection after all. Major boo Essie Australia, MAJOR BOO! 😠

(Mini rant aside, this 6-piece collection consists of 3 crémes & 3 micro-shimmer shades.)

As far as I'm concerned, this was the best seasonal collection Essie released in 2016, with every shade being pretty much a winner in my eyes. Even Hiking Heels (an orange-red créme) is a goody; I didn't buy it whilst overseas as it's not suitable for my skin tone unfortunately. Luckily for me, all the other shades were suitable & now I can finally unveil them to you all because I got sick of waiting for Essie Australia to pull their finger out.

Essie, nail polish, Viva Antigua! collection

Note: I used Essie's All-In-One as my base & Poshe's fast-drying top coat (purple box) as my top coat. All of the descriptions in italics come from Essie's website. Also note that aside from the top 2 images, I haven't altered the other images as I wanted them to remain in the most natural state possible, even if it meant light-filtered photos. I did, however, adjust a couple of my Tribal Text-Styles shots for accuracy.

Coconut Cove - sweet cream white. There was some conjecture over whether this really qualifies as a creamy white as on some skins it looks more like your average white. On my ghostly skin it certainly looks that way, but I don't think it's quite as stark as Blanc from Essie's permanent collection. I feel I can get away with it. Just like white clothing, I fear white nail polish is also a PITA (Pain In The...well, you know) & Coconut Cove is no exception. Although this looks near perfect on screen, in person there's streaks everywhere & not even my top coat could level them out. UGH! Despite that, there's something about Coconut Cove that I can't help but like - it just feels fresh for the season. 3 coats.

Essie, nail polish swatch, Viva Antigua! collection
Outside, daytime, in shade
Berried Treasures - bright ruby berry. Can't go past a nice pink for summer & this is a gorgeous ruby pink-red; but I can't help but feel I've seen this shade before, even though it looks great on my nails. Still like it though. My camera had trouble capturing its true colour outside (the perils of filming against a brick wall), so I've included an inside shot to give you an idea of what it really looks like. WARNING: Berried Treasures could stain your digits upon removal, so remember the base coat & be careful when removing your polish. 3 coats.

Essie, nail polish swatch, Viva Antigua! collection
Outside, daytime, in shade

Essie, nail polish swatch, Viva Antigua! collection
Inside, day-time - spot the difference?
Viva Antigua! - iridescent crystalline turquoise. Keen readers will know by now that I love my mermaid/aquatic shades & this is no different....sort of. A common complaint I've read about Viva Antigua! is the shimmer not showing up as much on the nail as opposed to the bottle & I 100% agree on that point. I also noticed in person that this kinda ate my top coat, my application wasn't solid & my nails didn't look quite as glossy as I would like. Looking at it now, I do like it a bit more than I did at the time. I think I did 2 coats here. (Forgive me, I shot this & Beried Treasures ages ago & considered a re-shoot, but couldn't be bothered in the end.)

Essie, nail polish swatch, Viva Antigua! collection
Outside, daytime, in shade

Essie, nail polish swatch, Viva Antigua! collection
Inside @ night, artificial light - had to do this so you could see the shimmer.
Loot the Booty - blue sapphire pavé. Oh I LOVE this! (Of course, duh...) Sapphire is my birthstone (September-born gal here) & this really reminds me of that gorgeous stone. I can see myself wearing this one all year round. I especially love the purple & aqua micro-shimmer inside & unlike Viva Antigua!, the shimmer shows up a bit more on the nail. I tried my best to capture that shimmer in some of the photos below but alas, on screen the purple shimmer just isn't showing up. I really didn't want to take this off, but unfortunately I had to in order to make way for the next polish. 2 coats here.

Essie, nail polish swatch, Viva Antigua! collection
Outside, daytime, in shade

Essie, nail polish swatch, Viva Antigua! collection
Inside @ night, artificial light

Essie, nail polish swatch, Viva Antigua! collection
Inside @ night, artificial light - throwing this in on the chance you might see the purple shimmer in there.

Tribal Text-Styles - black gold & crushed onyx. Black for summer? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?! Yeah, I know, I thought the same thing too. I wasn't going to get this at first, but Karen aka Manigeek from BeautyGeeks mentioned that this would look hot against white clothing; so I decided to give it a go, despite my well-documented issues with white clothing. I was worried the black would look stark against my pale skin, but the golden shimmer (which looks a little more silver on my skin tone) elevates it from making me look like Marilyn Manson.  It's a perfect NYE shade & probably a good one for winter too. 2 coats, but I think I should've done 3 as I had a few bald-ish spots here & there.

Essie, nail polish swatch, Viva Antigua! collection
Outside, daytime, in shade

Essie, nail polish swatch, Viva Antigua! collection
Outside, daytime, in direct sunlight

Essie, nail polish swatch, Viva Antigua! collection
Inside @ night, artificial light
Out of all of these, my faves are Loot the Booty (definitely), Berried Treasures & despite the uneven coverage, Coconut Cove. That's not to say I don't like Viva Antigua! or Tribal Text-Styles though - all around this collection for me was rock solid. I'm just super duper bummed that my fellow Essie lovers in Australia won't readily have access to this gorgeous collection. 😢

Linking up with the Monday Makeup Madness crew.

*All products featured for review on The Novice Life are purchased by me, unless otherwise stated. Please refer to my disclosure policy for more details. 

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!


What do you think about this Essie collection? Do any of these shades make you say "shut up and take my money"? Do you hate it when companies don't release limited edition collections in your country too?


14 comments:

  1. I don't need any nail polishes, but this collection is a really nice selection. You have such lovely nails, Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous isn't it? Such a shame it's not available in Australia. :o(

      Oh & thanks re: my nails! When they get too long I start worrying I'm going to break them, but thankfully no nails were harmed throughout the shoots haha.

      Delete
  2. The white and dark blue nail polishes are gorgoues. Those are the shades I would definitely buy. :)

    Michelle Morchella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're 2 of my favourites too. :o)

      Delete
  3. These shades look gorgeous! I especially love Coconut Cove and Loot The Booty! Thanks for your review and swatches I need to get more from Essie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Such a shame they won't be released in Australia though - Essie missed a trick there. Just glad I bought them in America, when I had the chance. I dig Coconut Cove & Loot the Booty too!

      Delete
  4. love their polishes, so many great colors here!

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an Essie fan too! They do have a good colour range.

      Delete
  5. Great colour ranges this year! Are they full bottle sizes or the minis? I love when they come out with the mini kits because you can try multiple colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all full-sized bottles I bought whilst in America last year. I don't mind mini bottles if I'm trying a brand for the first time, but sometimes that's not possible unfortunately.

      Delete
  6. I love this collection! My faves would be Viva Antigua (that shade is to die for!) and the stunning Loot The Booty. You make me want to dig out my Essie polishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you love the aquatic shades too! I have to admit I kinda poo-pooed Viva Antigua(!) at first, but looking at it now I like it more. I've got too many Essie's to dig out & use!

      Delete
  7. Totally in love with Loot the Booty Shell - actually they're all gorgeous and I LOVE the names xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loot the Booty is a special one I admit. :o)

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)