Monday, 20 March 2017

5 Products That Will Make Your Hair Bhave

5 products that will make your hair bhave

Do you crave hair that is silky & soft to the touch? Is your hair in need of some TLC? Think that it's impossible to manage the damage done to your hair?

Well think again as I have the answers for you...and they all begin with bhave.

In case you've never heard of bhave before, they're a proud Australian haircare company whose focus is on functional ingredients that will work to restore your mane to its crowning glory, making it healthy & rejuvenated & most importantly, well-behaved. (Hence the brand name!) Their products are also paraben, sulphate & sodium chloride free, which is a major bonus for those of you who avoid certain ingredients in their beauty diet (like moi); are not tested on animals (YAY!) and contain ingredients that are actually good for your hair....plus they smell fantastic! I know I'm not the only Australian blogger who raves about bhave - check out these reviews from Fabulous & Fun Life + The Life of Laura! In fact, I have bloggers & other beauty lovers to blame for getting me into this brand in the first place....

bhave rescue shampoo & conditioner bottles


bhave Rescue Shampoo & Conditioner
As Frank Sinatra once sang, you can't have one without the other & that's certainly the case with this keratin-packed duo. Both the Rescue shampoo & conditioner contain 3 different types of keratin, including bhave's own Replicine™ functional keratin, a type of raw keratin naturally derived & gently extracted from the wool of New Zealand sheep. According to bhave's website, this particular type of keratin has "the unique ability to penetrate the hair shaft and is able to bind to severely damaged hair, rebuilding the internal structure and restoring strength, elasticity and shine to damaged hair, rebuilding every strand of hair from the inside out." The beauty of this particular ingredient is that it works on all hair types to both protect & repair damage, leaving your hair with that soft, silky feeling I described above.

The shampoo is a bit unusual in that it is a little thicker than regular shampoos, but by no means difficult to squeeze out of the bottle. I use about an Australian 5 cent coin's worth on my long hair before rinsing & re-applying (I like to spread it out in my palms pre-application), leaving the 2nd dose on my hair for about 1-2 minutes (as recommended by bhave for "maximum repair"). It is a bit unusual having to leave shampoo in for that long, but this instruction is so that the raw functional keratin is allowed to penetrate the hair cuticle whilst wet. Despite the thickness, it doesn't feel heavy on my scalp at all, which is a bonus when your roots are prone to looking limp like mine are.

As for the rescue conditioner, it's got a nice amount of slip to it. My biggest bugbear when using other conditioners recently was that none of them felt heavenly on the ends of my hair - in fact, the Kevin Murphy Angel. Rinse felt akin to placing body lotion onto my hair before washing it out - whereas with the rescue conditioner, I know my mane's going to feel luxurious after each use. The mid-lengths & ends of my hair copped a caning when I went down the balayage route last summer & whilst they were still quite dry prior to me re-dyeing my hair dark again over the weekend, I felt as though they were perhaps a little less dry once I began re-using the rescue conditioner recently.

Regardless of whether I'm using these 2 together or I swap the conditioner for the hair mask I'm about to mention below, my hair always feels like silk once its dry....so silky that I can't stop touching it. (Find another word for silky Shell!) Even my own hairdresser has commented in the past about how soft my hair is & bhave products aren't even used at her salon!

bhave deep intense conditioning masque tube

bhave Deep Conditioning Masque
I have to admit that this mask & I didn't quite get along at first, possibly due to the high (moisturising) alcohol content in it. I felt that my ends were a bit more crispy duck than deeply conditioned. However, over time I've come to realise that this hair mask does help to keep my hair in good condition whenever I use it, which is generally once a fortnight. (I only wash my hair once a week...bad I know, but I've found since using bhave products that I don't need to wash my hair that often, despite my limp scalp.) I usually leave this in for about 5 minutes or so whilst shaving my legs out of the shower, but I have left it in for longer before without any harm. Aside from the delicious vanilla caramel scent, what I like the most about this masque is that it's neither too thick nor too thin - just right, as Goldilocks would say. I have used a thicker hair mask in the past & found it too overwhelming for my hair; so for all you fine-hair-and-lots-of-it girls out there, don't be scared to try this, especially if you colour your hair/you have damage/your hair is freaking out for whatever reason.

bhave riot control oil bottle

bhave Riot Control Oil
This hair oil/serum is perfect if you suffer from frizz and/or are prone to flyaways *puts hand up for the latter*. I admit I don't use this that often because my hair gets overloaded when I use too much product (plus the words "oil" & "fine hair" aren't a good match), but I have found this effective whenever my mid-lengths & ends have been fried from heat styling and/or are feeling particularly dry. I typically use about a half or one full pump spread out over my palms before applying to those sections of my mane. Whilst it doesn't feel heavy on my hair, I will caution you by saying that a little truly does go a long way. I've put too much in my hair before & looked like a drowned rat.

bhave super nova elixir spray bottle

bhave Super Nova Leave-In Elixir
This multi-functional spray is one of the latest additions to bhave's growing hair arsenal & its claims are quite lengthy. From promising to "gently detangle(s) and add(s) moisture to hair", to helping to "protect colour from irradiation", to strengthening brittle hair & fighting frizz, this product supposedly does it all. Hell, it's even claimed to "promote hair growth"! Myself personally, I've been using it as a detangler/leave-in conditioner & have found it to be pretty good at detangling thus far. The formula itself is unlike any other spray I've tried - it's more of a cream spray than a liquid spray, for lack of a better term - & it also smells like apples.

bhave super nova elixir spray(ed) into left hand
bhave super nova elixir spray sprayed onto my left hand - see the creaminess?

Despite the creaminess, I've found it hasn't weighed my fine-but-lots-of-it & coloured hair down; although both I & the bottle advise you not to go overboard as like the Riot Control Oil, a little does go a long way. I like to spray about 2-3 times into my hand before applying, but bear in mind that I do have long hair that's prone to both knots & looking flat. You can spray it directly into your hair - I've done it before - but I've found the other method works best for me. As for the other claims, I won't substantiate them as I haven't got the evidence to back them up.

It's rather unusual for me to sing the praises of any particular brand, but with bhave I feel I can because I've seen the results for myself & I know now that I'll never use another brand of shampoo & conditioner. This brand has me hooked...so hooked that I'm keen to try both the gun powder dust (a volumising/texturising powder that could substitute for dry shampoo) & their brand new volumising foam at some stage, once I work my way through the million other products I have for those purposes...

Aussies, you guys can purchase bhave products directly from their website, or via Alive Skin & Hair.
Good news for all my US & Canadian chums! You guys can also get your bhave fix via their American website.
JUST IN! Are you from South Africa? Well, I have some good news for you: bhave now have a South African website for you to purchase all your hair goodies from.

Yet again, I'll be joining the Monday Makeup Madness crew.

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

Have you tried anything from bhave before? Are you a fan of Australian beauty products? 

*All products featured for review on The Novice Life are purchased by me, unless otherwise stated. Please refer to my disclosure policy for more details. 

16 comments:

  1. I really need to try bhave. My hair is a frizz ball that just goes frizzy at the slight inclination of moisture in the air. I need this in my life.

    Lubz || http://lubzsays.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you get the chance, do it! I can sort of feel you on the frizzys as my hair goes all flyaway whenever humidity is hanging around.

      Delete
  2. bhave is my holy grail brand of hair care products! I totally agree with your statement that once you have tried the bhave Rescue Shampoo & Conditioner you won't want to try any other brand again!

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're fast becoming an HG for me too. I definitely learnt my lesson after using other shampoos & conditioners that nothing compares to the Rescue range!

      Delete
  3. I have never tried bhave but I have heard such great things about it so I will definitely need to give it a go :) Thanks for sharing your review x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Marisa! If you do try their stuff, I hope it works well for you.

      Delete
  4. I love the bhave gun powder, it's great for travelling and getting a bit of texture into my limp weave. (PS Lol at crispy duck)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad to know you like it (and my crispy duck comment too). I need texture mostly at my roots, they fall flat as a tack about 2-3 days post wash.

      Delete
  5. I love bhave so much! My hair has never felt so good!!

    Laura || www.thelifeoflaura.com.au xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about my own hair! Yet again my hairdresser commented to me on how soft my hair is last weekend & it's all down to bhave methinks.

      Delete
  6. I've been meaning to try this brand, your fantastic reviews have tipped me over the edge, Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Indie, jump on-board the bandwagon! Come to think of it, rave reviews are what made me try this brand in the first place. I suppose now I'm paying it forward in a way.

      Delete
  7. The leave in elixir sounds like just what I need as I get terrible tangles for some reason! This whole range sounds heavenly actually, especially if it gives you lovely silky hair afterwards!

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join the club! If there's so much as a hint of a breeze in the air, my hair gets tangled. It's annoying, but I'm used to it. I haven't been unhappy with everything I've tried from bhave so far (including the leave-in créme, which I ended up passing on as it was a bit much for my hair), so definitely give them a go!

      Delete
  8. I've recently changed hairdressers and the salon doesn't stock my long loved Reference products, so I'll be looking for a replacement very soon, and this sounds like it! Thanks Shell xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh, it sucks having to change hairdressers...I know the feeling all too well. Luckily my current one is very good, albeit VERY busy every time I go there. Anyway, definitely give bhave a go Kats!

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)