Monday, 6 March 2017

Confessions of a Nail Polish Addict Tag

confessions of a nail polish addict


I saw this tag over at Kellie Gonzo (who's now retired) a while ago & yet again thought it'd be fun to do + I'm sort of struggling to get a couple of posts finished at present, so here's a light-hearted post for your Monday....

1. What colour are you wearing right now? Zoya's Alicia (a silver linear holo) on my fingernails, Essie's In The Cab-Ana (aqua créme) on my toes. I'm a bit disappointed with Alicia, the holo isn't all that strong on my digits.

Zoya Alicia swatch artificial light
Photo of Alicia taken in artificial light


2. What nail product can't you live without? Hand cream, der! I know it's not technically a nail product, but if you want to get technical then cuticle oil it is for me. My hands & nails get dry very easily & soak up moisture fast.

3. What is your favorite nail brand? Oooh this is tricky! I guess if you had a look at my stash, then either OPI, Zoya or Essie would win out purely based on how many I own from them; so it's a toss-up between all 3. Essie win for the range of colours, OPI win because their formulas are almost always consistent and I've rarely had a problem painting with them; but Zoya is fast moving up the ranks though. The more polishes of theirs that I've used (and I've only used about 3-4 so far), the more I begin to adore them for the same reasons I like OPI...except Zoya are both cruelty-free and 5-free (meaning, for those of you who aren't nail polish afficionados, that they're free from formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate, toluene, formaldehyde resin & camphor).

4. What shape nail do you wear? I'd say mine are squoval-ish. I'd love to get them into a true oval shape, but I'm crap at filing them as is!

5. What's your go to Red, Pink & Neutral Nail Polish? Red's not something I tend to wear often; but if I had a go-to, then it'd be Butter London's Knees Up (metallic red). Pink? Probably OPI's Strawberry Margarita. Neutral again isn't something I wear that much nor own much of, so I don't think I can answer this part of the question properly...unless you count grey as a neutral. In that case, Sea Siren Cosmetics' Sea Fog is my fave neutral!

6. Short or Long Nails? I think both serve their purpose. I don't tend to trim mine too short though, nor do I like letting them grow too long, otherwise they start to hurt & I get scared I'll break them. I think a medium-long length is fine by me.

7. What nail polish colours are on your nail wishlist? Oh God, we'll be here forever! To keep things short, I'll just say that I'm after a whole stack of shades from Ella+Mila & KB Shimmer, plus I'm after several from Pretty Serious Cosmetics & a few from Cirque Colors, Emily de Molly & Cupcake Polish. I'm also after both collections that Kester Black bought out in 2016, as well as Monarch & Sorbet from their 2015 spring/summer collection. Can't wait to see what Kester Black come up with for this year!

8. When do you paint your nails, morning, afternoon or evening? Generally I do it any time from mid-morning to afternoon. I have painted them at night, but tbh the lighting in my current bedroom is shithouse & I find it a wee bit difficult to see what I'm doing, even though I have good eyesight.

9. What's your top nail tip you swear by? Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise! I see no sense in painting your nails if they're raggedy & unkempt. I know it's a chore but once you get into the habit of applying hand cream all the time, it stops becoming a chore, trust me.

10. What nail polish do you regret buying? Jeez, I'll be here half a day listing them! If I had to choose a top 3, then I'll say I regret buying Butter London's Goss & Poole + OPI's Chasing Rainbows. All 3 have since gone to better homes...and no, not the garbage bin.

11. Neon or Pastel? I'd go pastel since neons aren't really my thing. They remind me too much of highlighter textas.

12. What's your favorite colour right now, that you wear all the time? I can't really answer this question since I chop & change colours all the time & there's still heaps of colours I've yet to sport on my digits.

Added this to the Monday Makeup Madness link-up. Head on over & check out the other blog posts involved! 

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

16 comments:

  1. I wish my nails were stronger and I could grow them to even a medium long length. My nails are destined to always be shortish however I think! Not that this stops me from wearing nail polish luckily! I agree with you about the importance of moisturising!

    Thanks for linking up with the Monday Makeup Madness link up again.

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.bogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think nail length realy matters when it comes to polish. Sure, having longer nails = better opportunities for nail art, but I still paint my nails when they're shorter.

      No worries, glad to be a part of it!

      Delete
  2. I'm such a hand cream and cuticle oil addict!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I always stock up on hand cream whenever there's a big sale because I go through 1 tube every single month without fail. Cuticle oil takes longer since I forget to use it half the time.

      Delete
  3. You have fab nails! Mine never grow, no matter how well I look after them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm lucky mine grow pretty fast. Don't really know why, but they do even when I don't care of them.

      Delete
  4. What a fun tag! Loved reading your answers, Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Indie! I've got another polish tag in mind for later on, but it's kinda similar to this (albeit with different answers).

      Delete
  5. I'd love to get some Kester Blck in my collection. There's a lot of brands you mentioned that I haven't even heard of! Great to get to know you a little better Shell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just changed my toenail polish colour to one from Kester Black (Blue Raspberry, a discontinued shade) & I love it! The polishes I've used from them so far are nice.

      RE: Polish brands you haven't heard of....that's what happens when you start reading a number of nail blogs who champion indie brands. ;o)

      Delete
  6. I can't live without hand cream too especially in dry winters here in Canada !

    clairetalksbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I feel for you! I wouldn't survive a winter in Canada...I hate winters in Australia as is!

      Delete
  7. I definitely need to moisture more! Thanks for the tip. As a fellow nail polish lover loved the read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's easy to know when I need to moisturise my hands because they get so dry, but for others it might not be so easy. I keep my hand cream on my bedside table, so I make sure I do it at night as well as during the day.

      Delete
  8. I agree that Essie and OPI are the best nail polishes ever. Great idea of post, I loved to read it.

    Michelle Morchella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are some of the best. Glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)