Friday, 16 June 2017

4 Stupid Assumptions People Have Made of Me

WARNING: Prepare for rantage.

Several months back, whilst browsing one of my favourite beauty sites, I stumbled across an article titled 9 Things Girls With Big Feet Can Relate To and of course, I had to read it since I can toooootally relate. In it, the author Sam (my shoe size twin, give or take) recounts all the stupid things people have said to her about her size 10 Australian feet (a couple of which I've had as well) and it got me thinking about what other stupid assumptions people have made of me in both the past and the present:


via Wikipedia....and what I feel like doing every time someone says stupid shit like this.

"Why are you single? You're so pretty!"
If my looks had anything to do with the ability to gain a boyfriend/husband, I would've been girlfriended/wifed up by now. I hate to tell you this people, but looks will only get you so far. If you can't back that up with a dazzling personality or rapier wit or some other attractive quality, then I (like to) think you're going to lose out. (Oh & btw, the real reason why I'm still single is I'm a socially anxious hermit with a tendency to display closed body language, which therefore makes it hard for a man to approach....or so I've been told.)

"You should be a model/play basketball/play netball."
If I had a dollar for every time someone said this to me 😒....seriously people, not every tall person is cut out to grace the catwalks or play in the NBA! Besides, (a) I don't wish to starve myself nor shove orange juice-soaked cotton balls down my throat in a desperate attempt to feel full and (b) any "dreams" I may have had of playing netball were quickly shot down by my Year 4 teacher Mrs Boyd, who coached my school's netball teams. She told me that unless I wanted to keep my long fingernails short, I couldn't play. You can guess what happened next. 😉 #beautypriorities

"You don't need to wear heels because you're tall enough."
As much as I prefer to wear flat shoes, every now & again I like to feel a bit "girly" (for lack of a better term) and so I will pop a pair of heels or wedges on (if I can find a pair - I only own 1 pair of each). They're all within the 2-3 inch (5-7cm) range, so it's not like I'm wearing stilettos or anything; yet some people (mostly those who aren't blessed with height) have still felt the need to say some variation on the above phrase, even when I'm not wearing heels. So what? Who cares if I wear them? The world doesn't cave in every single time a supermodel steps out in 6 inch stilettos; so don't make me feel bad for deciding to extend my height on occasion.

"Gosh you're so skinny!"
Said one of my aunts almost every time she saw me in the last 5-10 years or so and my God it was annoying, especially since I've been within the same weight range during that time + I do happen to eat thank you very much. (She's since stopped saying it...maybe because I called her on it out aloud?) Besides, it's not like I never ate in front of her, she's seen me pack it away. I was also on the receiving end of a similar line whilst out with my folks at an Italian restaurant earlier in the year & I sincerely hope the waiter saw me stuff half a vegetarian pizza into my belly because I'm tired of people looking at me in that way.

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

What stupid assumptions have people made of you in the past or present?

14 comments:

  1. Very entertaining read, Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were entertained! :oP

      Delete
  2. I hate the first one! Like, just because you think I'm pretty I'm supposed to be in a relationship? because looks are all that matters, right?!! NOOO!
    I loved this post! I've just found your blog! :)

    www.letmecrossover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! This is what bugs me the most - looks may reel someone in, but IME if you haven't got something else to go with it, then you haven't got much to offer. Besides, looks can & do fade, a personality is forever.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness people say stupid things don't they! I totally agree with the single one - it's such an awkward comment to reply back to. Another similar assumption I hate is that because you're single you must be desperately wishing you were in a relationship. I hate when I say i'm single and someone goes "awwww, you'll find someone babes!!". Cringe! Haha

    Loving your blog sugar! Holly x http://www.thechroniclesofholly.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do Holly! I feel the same way you do re: people assuming you must be desperately wishing you were coupled up. I tend to get that assumption more from older people than folks my age, for some reason. I'm more than ok being single thanks!

      Delete
  4. haha your post made me laugh out loud! I loved it! I usually get the opposite of point 4 - also from an aunt AND my mother in law. They have no qualms in letting me know if I even look like I've gained a bit of weigh (insert eye roll).I also get point 2 a lot haha. Excuse me for dreaming of wearing a pair of heels (if I can find them in a size that fits my clown feet).

    Loved the post Shell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awful Lubna! Seriously, who cares if you've put on weight or not - as long as you're happy, that's what matters. How rude! Haha, I feel you on finding heels that fit our respective clown feet. It's tough having larger than average feet isn't it?

      Delete
  5. I'm tall with big feet too and used to be skinny. I've heard it all but just ignored it I guess. The "why aren't you married thing" is SOOOOO annoying!!! I went through that for so many years. I wanted to have fun until I met the right person, I wasn't going to settle. sooo... what's the big deal!? I totally get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've just got used to it now, even though it still irks me from time to time.

      RE: Singledom - yes, some people just don't understand that others want to wait it out until they find the RIGHT person to settle down with. Those same people also don't understand that people can be just as happy on their own as well. I don't understand people who couple up because they're afraid to be alone - it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

      Delete
  6. I've always felt for tall girls getting the 'oh you should play basketball' 'oh you don't need heels' like FUCK OFF people! You wear heels to feel sexy or to make your outfit look badass not everyone is wearing them for height boosting reasons.... Ugh people are so annoying!

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HELL YES to all of this Sarah! Even though I am tall, I'm shorter in the leg & sometimes an outfit just doesn't look (or won't look) right on me if I'm wearing flat shoes. It's all about being in proportion & I'm not about to apologise for that.

      Delete
  7. I think we can agree that all people need to stop saying stupid things to other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn straight! I'm sure I've been guilty of it.

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)