Wednesday, 26 July 2017

How To Wear White Jeans In Winter

fashion, white denim, knitwear, ankle boots

There's some rules about fashion that are meant to be followed (don't ask me what they are as I can't think of them right now!) & then there are some that baffle me, like the rule about "not wearing white after (American) Labor Day". I'm sorry but WTF? Who died & decided to restrict our colour palettes? Who says we can't wear white during the colder months of the year?

I say all of this because I broke that stupid "rule" last Thursday night by wearing white jeans to a comedy gig....and I wasn't the only one in the room who did it either. I loved the look of this particular outfit so much that I decided to share it with you today + my thoughts on how you can wear white jeans in winter:


fashion, white denim, clutch bag, knitwear, ankle boots

fashion, knitwear, white denim, clutch bags

fashion, knitwear, white denim

Layer up with a knit
I've been living in my Portmans Layering Zipper Tunics this winter (I have another one in white) as not only are they so comfortable, but so warm when paired with another layer (or 2) underneath. I especially like these tunics for their relaxed feel (although I went up a size in these), the turtleneck which helps keep me warm because I'm an ice block at this time of year & the noticeable zipper detail along each side. My advice would be to play around with proportions i.e. if your jeans are skinnys like mine, then wear a relaxed knit & vice versa, as well as looking out for a knit with some extra detailing to stand out from the crowd.

ankle boots, FRANKiE4, GEMMA, heels


Pair your jeans with ankle boots
Ok so this is a no brainer, but wearing ankle boots could help lengthen your legs, especially if you're short-legged like I am. (Yes I know I'm tall, but I'm long-bodied/short-legged.) Whether they're heeled like these babies from FRANKiE4 or flat, get them out & pop them on your feet...or buy a pair if you don't own any. Although I wore black boots for this post, white jeans will look better, if not hotter, with a tan or another neutral-coloured boot. I'm also keen to try wearing these jeans with a taupe riding boot just to see what they look like.

fashion, accessories, handbags, clutch bag


Team your outfit with a fun printed bag
I chose this pony hair Portmans clutch (with a detachable gold strap) to go with the outfit as not only did it go back with the monochromatic & gold theme I had going on, but I thought it'd add a nice pop to the outfit...that and I don't use this as often as I should. Sure, I could've gone with a plain black clutch, but that to me would've been boring & terribly safe. You could also incorporate a pop of colour here if you wish, or team it with another type of print. If you're going to do print, make sure that at least 1 of the colours works back with your outfit. 

What I'm wearing: Tunic: Portmans Layering Zipper Tunic in Black (size S, old) // Jeans: Mavi Alexa White Skinny Jeans (size 28, old, similar) // Boots: FRANKiE4 Gemma Black (size 11 - also available in Tan) // Clutch: Portmans (old)

Follow The Novice Life on Bloglovin!

Do you own a pair of white jeans? Do you wear them during winter? What do you think about nonsensical fashion "rules"? 

10 comments:

  1. The white jeans look great on you! I do have 1 pair, but me and white aren't a good mix. I always manage to dirty white clothing, lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Indie! I always manage to dirty white clothing too & sometimes I don't even know how I do it lol. I have been very careful with these so far (although now they do need a bit of a wash).

      Delete
  2. I love this post Shell!!! I couldn't fathom wearing white jeans EVER (especially if I'm hormonal and I hate everything)! But your post has been quite inspirational and I'm keen to try it myself.

    Lubz || http://lubzsays.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Lubz, I'm glad to have inspired you to give them a go! You never know, the results may pleasantly surprise you.

      I'll let you in on something: I was in the same frame of mind as you before I bought these, but I decided to just try them on anyway to see whether or not they would work...and to my surprise, they did. It doesn't always work out that way though - I'm still trying to find a perfect pair of boyfriend jeans!

      Delete
  3. I don't actually own any white jeans, because I'm a messy person haha! They look so good on you, and I actually like them with the jumper x

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm quite messy with white clothing in general, believe me. The biggest factor in buying these jeans was finding out I could soak the bejesus out of them & they'd be fine. (Or so the shop assistant told me.) If it weren't for that, I'd have left them on the shelf as I've ruined many a white garment through soaking (because stupid me has ignored the "do not soak" warning on the care label lol).

      Delete
  4. I love white jeans and they look fantastic on you Shell :-) In Qld.....white is worn in any season so why not in other states is my motto. You can still wear white jeans with jumpers, winter tops, jackets or vests. Dress them up with boots or sandshoes and you are onto a winner there also. I say go for it. The only time I probably didn't wear white jeans was years ago when it was that time of the month as you never know what could happen then.

    It doesn't matter in what season I wear white jeans, I will always come home at the end of the day with some marks on them. It's dangerous sitting outside sometimes :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy! White jeans are so versatile...then again, most denim is. I know what you mean re: them getting dirty - that's what turns me off white clothing in general. My jeans have to be washed as I type!

      Delete
  5. I do have white jeans but I am soooo paranoid about wearing them that winter is generally a no-go purely for mud, slush, rain and the like but I should probs get over it. I like the zippered detail in the tunic too and the clutch goes perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I feel the same way. I've restricted my wear of them for much the same reasons as you. Luckily mine wash quite well (I've already put them to the test), but knowing that I'll probably have to do it after each use does put me off. Still, I want to get usage out of them so I too will have to get over it at some stage.

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but all I ask is that you don't spam, troll, abuse others or follow-for-follow. Let's play nicely. :o)